Thursday 25 April 2013

EVAs and volunteering whilst at University

On 3 May SUSU puts on a spectacular event to celebrate all the wonderful volunteering that this university supports, the EVAs (Excellence in Volunteering Awards) is a showcase of how absolutely splendid all our students are!

Take a look at the list and you’ll understand what I mean about impressive!! http://www.susu.org/making-a-difference/union-awards/2012/eva/nominees.html

This year I am very honoured to be nominated for the leadership award, it feels great to be placed in the company of so many active and amazing people – including my fellow blogger Joanne.

So, this got me thinking about my experience volunteering whilst at the University of Southampton, the reasons why I did, and why I would advocate for everyone to do the same.

This time last year I saw a post on a society I had never got involved with before, it was their AGM and there was a new role available – they wanted someone to run an outreach mentoring programme, training students to go into local schools and offer help – I strongly agreed with their ethos of educational equality and so went for it. Since then, I have never looked back. 

It is important that you are passionate about the cause because it would be a lie to say that all this work was easy. It wasn’t. At times it took over my degree, and my life, but when you see that you are doing a good thing, when you can measure the impact you have on a child’s learning – if they are able to read a few more words after a session with you – then, for me, it was always worth it. Likewise, I was surrounded by amazing people; I made some wonderful friends (who are also nominated for EVAs) who supported me when I thought everything was a bit hopeless. Currently through this project I have helped 65 students volunteer in two different schools, when I think about the potential effect that has had on so many children it is hard to not think about this as being the best thing I have done whilst at University.

But I know that volunteering is great, what I really want to do is convince anyone who hasn’t given it a go yet to embrace it – it is never too late. Studies show that if you start volunteering while at university then you are much more likely to continue into later life, something I think would lead to a much better society.

I get it though, your time is precious - however I’m going to give you three reasons why you should give a bit of it away.


1. You will learn about people in a way you have never learnt before.

In my humble opinion people who volunteer are the best people in the world. These people may not dedicate their lives to Oxfam, they may dedicate them to Badminton society or Performing Arts, but either way, these are the folks that will teach you about being PASSIONATE.

Because that’s what volunteering is about, having the passion to enjoy something, to want to help, to want to learn about it so much that you are willing to give your time for free. Therefore people who have set up societies or constantly strive for the best for their club need to be praised – praised for following their passion and making it work.

So volunteer, and study the people you volunteer with, or the people you volunteer for – you will discover new levels of empathy, compassion and understanding you just don’t get from other experiences. You will learn how dedication and commitment really works and you will learn about the power of the human will.


2. You will gain skills and become more employable.

Ah, employability. Everyone loves something shiny to put on their CV and volunteering is that thing, it shows your commitment and your drive. If you can volunteer effectively, whilst maintaining a degree, then you have organisational and time management skills. Volunteering is a people orientated field, and thus you will get excellent team building skills. You will know how to prioritise, how to liaise, how to be outgoing, how to recruit, how to persuade, how to push your luck and how to have fun. And that’s not all you will learn by volunteering; the place you are channelling all your efforts into will also give you a bundle of great skills – I, for example, learnt a lot regarding curriculum from going into schools, as well as how to help students who have English as a second language, how to deal with a lot of teenagers who don’t want to read and how to persevere when things get tough. Perhaps it sounds ridiculous, but the skills I have now most definitely make me a better person, and a better job candidate.


Going to Westminster! You never know the opportunities which will arise from volunteering!


3. You will have FUN.

Fun should never be undervalued, it’s one of the main reasons you keep on going despite no one paying you, and it’s the reason why you rave about it to all your friends. Yes, it is fun to have your own project, and it is fun to have it be successful and it is fun to constantly work on what you’re passionate about with other passionate people but mainly it’s fun because (like I’ve said earlier), people who volunteer are the best people you will meet. These folks know how to work hard, and play hard. Let’s face it, they have it. These people are friendly, excitable and always warm hearted. I promise, you will never meet a lovelier bunch of people than those who tirelessly give their time away to others.


I’ve met some great people, who made my volunteering possible!


I hope to have gone some way to convincing you to give volunteering a go, and if nothing else, appreciate all the work those excellent people who have been nominated for EVAs do.

Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment