Tuesday 16 July 2013

The student community

And so July, accompanied by scorching weather worthy of any exotic location (although now I’ve said that, prepare for rain!), sees my first summer spent down here in Southampton, away from my usual Northern home.

But just because lectures, assignments and exams are behind us and many a Students’ Union activity is on hiatus, it doesn’t mean that life in and around the University is any less hectic or packed than ever – well, except for the (very much necessary) midday siestas I’ve timetabled in! I’ve been down here since the beginning of the month for a number of reasons, and although productivity has at times been on the backburner, it’s been as enjoyable as ever.

From moving house (and all the other necessary tasks that come with it!) to undertaking tentative Third Year Project research (presumably at one stage the challenge will appear less mountainous!), there’s been plenty to be getting on with. This was topped off by the magnificent experience of taking part in the University’s Open Days, forming part of the Pro Vice-Chancellor’s talks on the themes of ambition and opportunity along with Jo.

As you might have read in her latest blog, we certainly made the most of the glorious weather, taking walks to both campuses, eating lunch in the shade and reminiscing about our experiences here (in my case: so far!), wholeheartedly enjoying both days – despite my ice-cream melting everywhere...! In case you didn’t get the chance to catch it, you can hear what we both had to say about our Southampton journeys in this video (we take over from about 22 minutes in!):



Walking around campus on both occasions reminded me of, as I mentioned in the talk, just how homely the University always feels to me. Awash with the sights of visitors, the luminescent clothing of swathes of student ambassadors and assistants, and plenty of other activities and displays (including the magnificent ambition wall), and ably supported by an awesome soundtrack from our very own Surge Radio, the excitement of discovering it all for the first time came flooding back, making us both feel very, very old!

And with loads of resources freely available for hire (including the exhaustive Hartley Library), banks and other essential services nearby, great communal catering outlets (the majority serving a favourite lunchtime component: curly fries!) and a wide variety of shops all within ten minutes’ walk of the house I just moved into, I’ve always felt that I could quite easily live solely within that radius – well, except perhaps for the occasional trips into town when Manchester United visit St Mary’s Stadium!

Like Jo, when I settled in to Southampton I was also moving from a rural area into urban surroundings for the first time, so having the extra security of having all the basics nearby meant I always knew I’d be comfortable, and, if anything, this encouraged me more to branch out and explore the city and area.

Yet the homeliness of the University goes even beyond that aspect for me. I’ve tried many times to articulate what makes life in Higher Education such a special existence, and just why I love being a part of it so much, but it’s difficult to summarise succinctly. I’m always mentioning the fantastic atmosphere, assortments of activities and collections of people which make up day-to-day life here, but it’s the way that these are constantly coalescing which inspires me the most.

Because after two years of being in and around the Students’ Union (SUSU), engaging with it whenever I can afford the time off from degree work, I’ve realised it’s the little things that make it such a special place to be. Walking in to the Bridge Bar, for example, and seeing three or four people I know and can get lunch with, or even just passing somebody on the concourse and exchanging a quick “Hi!” before both dashing off to lectures, I find myself feeling like I’ve established an identity within the vast student community of the University. Living in a relatively densely student-populated area as well, I’m always bumping into people I know in streets and shops, or popping round to friends, so there’s a friendly face on every corner.

Despite there being a million and one courses, societies and student groups on offer, with everyone combining these to various degrees and doing their own thing, I can appreciate that I now have a University of Southampton experience personal to me – and it feels terrific!

This aspect of constantly networking (in the most informal way possible!) and experience-sharing lies at the core of so much of what goes on here, but so many opportunities in turn revolve around appealing to your interests, having fun and building up skills and portfolios – so engaging with the community is, I’ve found, best achieved just through relaxing and enjoying yourself!



Friendships really do just happen!


To give an example, SUSU Theatre Group are currently rehearsing on a daily basis for the show we’re taking to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe next month, Hanging Bruce-Howard, under the moniker of Gone Rogue productions. Whilst we’ve been working (fairly) hard during the day, we’ve spent the evenings meeting up and enjoying ourselves as a cast and crew, as we prepare for a month of adventures in Scotland together – the other night culminated in an all-out pizza-fest and foam dart gun war which, despite nearly being twenty-one, is still far, far too much fun to miss out on!

And, should something go awry, however serious the circumstances or problem, I’m always aware I can count on my fellow students to provide the support I need, be it my fellow thespians, my coursemates or, normally in my case, my housemates – there’s nothing quite like venting through a quick blast on the PlayStation with my neighbour for effective stress relief!

But this level of support for one another is seemingly ever-present, as demonstrated by the University’s alumni. For example, thanks to the incredibly generous and benevolent alumni of the School of Electronics and Computer Science (ECS), whose donations have enabled me to receive the support of the ECS Student Development Fund, the financial burden of the associated costs of the Fringe trip has been significantly lightened, ensuring the experience should be all the more memorable for me. I cannot thank them enough.

And I was further humbled by the support of friends when I performed a second stand-up comedy set at a local open mic night recently, following a mildly successful debut earlier this year. Unfortunately, this one somewhat fell apart! All rehearsal seemed to fall by the wayside as I completely forgot large parts of the routine and suffered a fair few “tumbleweed moments” – every performer’s worst nightmare! The ten minutes I was supposed to fill felt like the longest of my life!

When the performance finished, I was quite disappointed in myself for a poor showing but, rather than receive external criticism, I was instead offered a great deal of encouragement to pick myself up, learn from my mistakes and give it another go some time, with many pointing out stand-up can be a hit-and-miss art. It sounds horrendously cliché, but it really did help, and reminded me of just how lucky I am here to be, now, as part of such a special student community.

Best of all, it was conclusive evidence I’ve been blessed with two homes: North – and South!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment