Tuesday 8 October 2013

The long haul

I’m currently sitting at my desk, staring at a blinking cursor on a blank document, which currently represents the state of progress of my preparation of a project brief document for my Third Year Project, the year-long piece of work that I know will pose many conundrums to come.

Talk about standing at the foot of a mountain!

I’ve done something fairly similar before, for my A Level Computing coursework, where we had a nine-month stretch of time to develop a piece of software for a real-world application. Somehow, I managed to convince both my teachers and the exam board that programming a KenKen solving game (a kind of mathematical Sudoku) would be a good example of an educational utility (for improving arithmetic), and I was away staring at number grids for hours on end, but back then I had the firm guidance of a classroom teacher behind me on a daily basis, helping me overcome all the little errors and difficulties that such a large-scale project can throw up and forcing me to get down to the grit of what was a relatively simple task, at least technically, but was certainly tough at the time! And I ended up typing over 200 pages’ worth of report, which required a Herculean effort to print off and bind on submission day!

But the Third Year Project is a whole other kettle of fish, because although I have the firm support and help of weekly meetings with my personal supervisor, whose experience in and knowledge of the field I’ve already found invaluable in helping me to find areas in which to kick-start my project, the onus is very much on me to have the drive to drag myself out of bed (however comfortable it seems at the time – especially if it’s 8am!), get to the library to check out journals or labs to investigate topics, and stand on the shoulders of giants in applying my findings to the construction of an artefact, which I have to present for scrutiny at the end of the year in my project viva. And that’s while simultaneously writing 10,000 words on the experience!

So writing this blog at the very beginning of what seems like an ever-stretching path before me, having just been given a lecture on solid techniques for mapping out the time available in the months to follow, the prospect of taking on a Third Year Project is more than a little intimidating!

But already I’m finding that my previous experiences at the University of Southampton may well help me in tackling just that, both in terms of those gained from course modules (for example, over my first two years we’ve been introduced to a broad range of project management and design methodologies) and also those through my extra-curricular activities.

Because although it’s an activity which I participate in mostly because I enjoy it rather than because of any great benefit to my CV, learning how to direct a theatrical production through putting on my latest project with Theatre Group, Equus, has already seen us, as a production team, put a lot of management theory into action. For example, before the concept of the show was even formed, we established a core team for putting it on, who then branched outwards and delegated the responsibilities needed for building up a society show from scratch – and there’s a surprising number, as I’m finding out now while we all race around gathering props and costumes and sponsorship and such!

I’ve also had to learn how to schedule, particularly in piecing together a rehearsal schedule which defines the whole process of learning the play – although on one particular day I did cheekily take the liberty of making the rehearsal start and finish early enough for me to watch a Manchester United match! We’re now halfway through it, and things seem to be going very well indeed thanks to the commitment and talent of all involved (as well as their ability to make the whole thing a lot of fun!), although being on a short timescale it’s not always straightforward to tell; there may be some last minute line-learning or changing of scenes, as with any production, but fingers crossed we’ll avoid that scenario!

On top of that, we’ve been working closely as a production team to try and co-ordinate all of our activities to make sure everything comes together on time (helped again by everybody’s sheer enthusiasm and commitment to putting on a great show!), to market the show (you may see our poster on screens in and around the Students’ Union!) and to try and remain relatively within the budget we set out at the beginning – basically, many of the skills applied in a long-term project!

It sounds like a lot of work, and it’s not always easy as such, but it’s made all the better by being around such driven, personable and canny individuals as those which comprise Theatre Group.

In addition, taking on projects can give you great excuses to take much-needed breaks every now and then, which can be all the more satisfying for their timing! This previous weekend the cast and crew of Equus attended a riding school in Buckinghamshire, where we were given the opportunity to learn from, groom and ride horses, an awesome experience which made for a fun day out as a team. We’d like to thank Mrs Hart massively for making it all possible and lending us her time, knowledge and horses on the day!



 Some of us had ridden before and some hadn’t – with interesting results!
(Credit: Leo Darlington)



 We had a great time at the stables!
(Credit: Leo Darlington)


So it is with great optimism that I go into the new academic year, armed with an as-of-yet-unwritten proposition to take on the challenge of building an autonomous agent capable of live performance capture and editing, despite the numerous difficulties that are almost guaranteed to crop up because of it – and this time, I’m not sure turning it off and on again will solve very much!

Although it might mean fewer hours in bed (and those of you who know me well will know how much that promises to hurt!), this year I’ll be in it for the long haul, although given how I’ll be researching an area I’m interested in through a project I selected, I’m sure that this will just give me all the more time to relish my course during my penultimate year here.

And at the end of Equus, the Third Year Project and the rest of my degree, I’m sure I’ll have a complete product to look back on, to be proud of, and to savour.


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment