Monday 13 October 2014

Self-defence, forest walks, talks and films

Since my last post, I’ve been trying out some more groups and societies. Last week I attended a couple more Martial Arts taster sessions including Chinese Kickboxing and an evening Self-defence class. I am very tempted to join the Chinese Kickboxing - however it clashes with one of the Street Dance classes I also want to attend on a Wednesday. The session was a lot of fun so it is definitely something I want to try again in the future. The self-defence class was great and is actually free every week! The classes are in the evenings and so don’t clash with anything else I’m doing. The instructor is really enthusiastic and dedicated and keeps the class fun. Knowing a few tricks to protect yourself is a really good thing to have up your sleeve and because the classes are free I don’t see any reason not to attend.

At the weekend I went to the Hillwalking Society’s first day-walk of the semester. This was the first time I had been on one of their walks and in spite of the rain I really enjoyed the walk in the fresh air and being out in nature! This walk was along a route their committee had planned out. The walk I went on was in the New Forest, which is beautiful and local (and very easy to get to from here!) but they also have walks planned for the Isle of Wight and an away trip to Snowdonia amongst others.




 Our walk in the New Forest, a local beauty spot.
 

During the week, the Green Action team had our first event. This began with a quick introduction to what we do as a society, who the committee are and what our roles are. Then we had the pleasure of listening to a talk from a guest speaker who we had organized to come and talk about the controversial TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) trade deal. After the talk, people were free to ask questions and we had a really interesting discussion. The talk was very successful and it’s great that we were able to raise more awareness about the potential consequences of TTIP. We may even organise a follow up event, since a number of members were quite passionate about the covert trade deal.

Last weekend I also spent full day in the library doing research for my third year project. Afterwards, my friend and I rewarded ourselves by watching a movie at Union Films. Union Films is the University’s student-run cinema. I think this was the first time in over a year that I took the time to go and watch a film there, and it turned out to be a great way to end a full day in the library! This weekend my friend and I plan on dedicating another full day to working on our projects in the library and then watching another film.




Getting ready to enjoy a film at Union Films


We were quite keen last weekend and were almost the first ones to arrive. Since it’s cheaper to watch movies at Union Films than in larger cinemas, my friend and I hope to be able to watch a few more movies throughout the term and make the most of having a cinema in our Students Union while we’re still studying at Southampton. It’s also good motivation to keep working; knowing you’ll be able to relax and enjoy a film in the evening.



 The Union Films entrance, and SUSU's new Diner!


The entrance to the cinema is on the far left, but this picture also shows the Student Unions’ new retro Hollywood Diner at Bar Three, which I think looks really cool! I have yet to try any of the food but plan to soon.

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment