Wednesday 22 July 2015

My last day at university: graduation

“Gale… Gillespie… Gray.” It was my turn to walk across the stage, to shake hands with the Vice-Chancellor of the University and to spend every ounce of brain power focusing on not tripping up or dropping the mortarboard that rested underneath my arm. Thankfully I did neither and I could enjoy the applause, especially the manic clapping emanating from where my family sat, saving the moment in my memory forever – I had graduated!

Despite the fact my exams had finished at the end of May and that I knew the outcome of my degree by the end of June, somehow it didn’t all seem real until I was in the Nuffield Theatre, waiting for my turn to cross the stage. Once I was at the other side I felt two things: the first was a sudden release of all my nervousness and the second was a surge of pride that I am now James Gray, Master of Physics!



I’m now officially James Gray MPhys (Hons.) 


However, Graduation is about more than just the ceremony. It’s a day to celebrate with family and friends and to realise how much work and effort you have put in over the course of your degree. It’s also a day where you can finally believe you’re at Hogwarts – the robes make you feel like a wizard!



Many thanks to my family for getting me to where I am today! 


After the ceremony had ended with a pride-inducing speech from the Vice-Chancellor, all of the newly-graduated physicists went to have a group photo. If it wasn’t already hot enough in a suit and robes before, then it certainly was when we all lined up like sardines on the tiered stage! Several serious shots were taken, before we all had to throw our mortarboards out in front of us for a final photo. The lecturers, who were lined-up on the bottom row, were hit with most of the hats!



Where’s James? The physics class of 2015! (Credit: Ridwan B)


It was then time to head over to the reception tent which, after a busy morning of collecting robes and getting official photos taken, was my first chance to take a breather and allow the experience to sink in. Our reception was held in Garden Court, which quickly filled with happy families and smartly dressed students.

Apart from the free champagne, the reception is also enjoyable because you bump into a whole variety of friends and staff, sharing congratulations and for once the conversations don’t involve work!

I was glad I had the opportunity to thank my academic tutor for the past four years at the reception. He has been a great help throughout my time at the University of Southampton, from assisting me with problem sheets in weekly tutorials in first year, to helping me to get the ball rolling on my upcoming medical physics career in my final years.



I broke the world record for mortarboard throwing… probably. 


After the champagne had been drunk and the many photos had been taken (most trying to achieve the perfect hat-throwing picture), it was time to leave Southampton for the last time. Just writing that sentence makes me feel sad, as everywhere I picture on campus and around the city brings back a torrent of happy memories.

I will truly miss you Southampton. Thank you for everything!

James

No comments:

Post a Comment