Friday 18 September 2015

Attending the 2015 British Society for Population Studies annual conference

From the 6th to the 9th September I attended the 2015 British Society for Population Studies annual conference held at the University of Leeds. The Social Sciences department at the University of Southampton made up a pretty significant proportion of attendees at the conference - so much so that we were named the ‘Southampton Mafia’!

Firstly, conferences are great; if you ever get the chance to go to one, go! You will meet people who are interested in your research and will make contacts that will help you further your professional career. They are not only attended by lecturers and researchers; often there will be industry representatives there looking for their next graduate recruit, particularly at PhD conferences.

You don't even have to be a PhD or even a Masters student to attend. I fully encourage any undergraduate student who gains a good mark in their dissertation to take the work to a relevant conference.


The very imposing main staging building for the conference at Leeds. 


I took along a poster detailing half of my dissertation research which was focused on using agent based models to better understand fertility decline in modern Germany (don't focus too much on wondering what on earth that means, it's a pretty niche area of research!). My poster was displayed for the whole three days, but on the first night a poster session was held where you had to stand by your poster and try to explain what it's all about.

This was utterly terrifying…for about five minutes. Then I realised that I did actually remember what I had done, and probably wasn't going to embarrass myself that badly. Plus, there was copious amounts of free wine given out throughout the evening, so explaining my work to people gradually became easier!



My poster proudly displayed in a corner. As the first conference poster I had ever made I was pretty happy with the result, even if I didn't win the prize for best poster! 



Dr Sabu Padmadas and Dr Amos Channon from Southampton enjoying the drinks and perusing the posters on display. 

 
The poster session filling up. 


The conference was structured around hour-and-a-half long sessions composed of four 15 minute presentations from researchers and academics detailing their most recent piece of research. Unlike presentations you might give in your University seminars, these are made a bit more stressful by the fact that the person you've referenced in your presentation may well be sat in the room with you.



Southampton's own Dr Sabu Padmadas giving a talk on maternal health care in Ghana. 


Another Southampton representative, PhD student Anna Zincenko presenting her early thesis research. 


Conferences are a fantastic way to receive constructive feedback on ongoing research, there are few other opportunities to talk to so many experts.



Southampton’s Dr Pirelli-Harris questioned the presenters consideration of cohabiting couples, evidence of the fear of being questioned by someone you've referenced. 


As well as these sessions there were two Plenary lectures given by prominent academics which were attended by everyone.



Professor Helga de Valk giving a fascinating talk titled: European migrants: new demographic questions and challenges? 


The best thing about the conference organisation is that you have complete flexibility in which talks you attend. There were six sessions happening at the same time, and people were able to pick and mix, and go to the talks that were the most interesting to them. BSPS attracts a wide range of not only demographers but economists, anthropologists and social scientists. The result was a huge range of topics covered meaning that there was always something interesting for me to go along to.

The days were very long. Having come here from what has been quite a lazy summer working as a consultant (meaning that I haven't had to face an early morning for over a month!) waking up at 7 am and sitting in talks through till 6pm hit me in the face like a brick. However, the conference organisers were prepared for this, and provided copious amounts of food and coffee throughout the day, starting with a full cooked breakfast and on the Tuesday ending with a formal sit down dinner.



Please don't take a picture of us while our mouths are full… 





Cheers! Eagerly anticipating food and enjoying more free wine, the evening was looking promising
The organisers really delivered with an outstanding menu that made us all feel very spoiled. I intended to take a photo of the dessert but unfortunately I lost all control of my spoon and only remembered my camera once I had finished. 



Dr Padmadas ….. And Dr Skazbo looking happy after finally having a chance to relax after chairing sessions and attending talks all day. 


It seems entirely strange that I should have to go to Leeds to meet fellow Southampton Postgraduates but there you go, it’s great for meeting new people! Happily I met some wonderful students and researchers and I am thrilled to be leaving with new friends and contacts.

While I am not normally that excited about the idea of spending three days surrounded by strangers and being asked difficult questions about my work (in fact, that's normally the sort of thing I would go out of my way to avoid), the atmosphere at BSPS was so relaxed and friendly that my nerves were (mostly) forgotten.

Plus, having such a strong Southampton presence meant that even though I was in Leeds, I didn't feel too far away from home…



My conference name badge joining the others on my desk!

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment