Wednesday 11 November 2015

Third Year Dissertation: tips and finding that work-life balance

It is easy for students to feel lost with what to do when writing their dissertations. I’m happy to admit that I myself feel a little overwhelmed with the workload I have right now; juggling a part-time job, societies, my three other modules, social life and, of course, writing my dissertation!

Where to get the extra help


Aside from meetings with your dissertation supervisor, there are loads of places where you can go find out about some of the skills you need to be successful in your studies and beyond. One such place is the Academic Skills Hub based in the Hartley Library. It is staffed by librarians who can cover a range of topics with you from:
  • Academic Writing
  • Critical Thinking 
  • Information Management 
  • Academic Integrity and Referencing 
  • Presentation Skills 
  • Exam Techniques 
  • Research Skills 
The best thing about this is that you don’t have to book a one-to-one session. The Hub is open Monday to Friday from 10am – 12pm and then from 2pm - 4pm. You can just drop in for a 20 minute session with one of the team.



My Dissertation Bible. I got this from the Academic Skills Bookshelf on Level 3 of Hartley Library.

Some Tips…


I particularly like the fact that the Hub helps with research skills. It is extremely useful for finding the right academic sources for any piece of writing. I use a ton of academic journals for writing essays so I use DelphiS regularly. For those who may not know, DelphiS is a University website which has all of the library’s electronic and print items and lets you access most journal articles online that may not be in WebCat.

From dropping into the Hub, I have learnt that the way you enter search terms on DelphiS greatly affect the final quality of your essay. For example, you can use the technique of “truncation” to allow you to search for multiple forms of a term or when you are uncertain how a word is spelt. So instead of doing three or four separate searches, you are able to save a considerate amount of time by finding the maximum possible journal articles you need with just one click.

The database cannot sense what type of journal articles you prefer to come up. Its results will be based on what you input in that search box so using a truncation symbol helps weed out potentially irrelevant sources.



An example of different results that will come up with truncation. The truncation symbol for DelphiS is an ‘*’ or a ‘$’


My dissertation is about economic underdevelopment in South East Asia with a focus on the economy of the Philippines. I have found that over the years I have developed a huge interest in current affairs – I find myself constantly asking: “why is this particular event as issue?” Or “why is it that these groups of people choose to behave in this way?” After moving to England at the age of 10 and developing an interest in British and International Politics, have always been - and always will be - curious about the politics of my home country. Writing what is perhaps the biggest piece of academic work I have written in my life so far on the country that I was born in is one of the best things that I could do. Not only does it satisfy my love for learning about how power works but it also keeps me in touch with my roots.

I have heard time and time again that writing your dissertation on what you’re severely passionate about is the main thing that will motivate you throughout any all-nighters you may encounter!



My academic poster for my dissertation. My course has a module called Research Skills in Politics and International Relations that encouraged us to come up with a topic idea as early as we can and gave tremendous feedback. The poster shows the development of how I’ve come up with my topic. 

One other thing…be prepared!


The other thing I must mention is to be prepared when you’re meeting with your supervisor. It is up to you to initiate a meeting with them as they are your first point of contact. However, you must remember that, like yours, their time is precious. Set a meeting with them but make sure you have an idea of what you want to talk to them about. It is equally important to actually do readings before your meeting so that you have an academic basis for your conversation. Perhaps what I should have done in my first meeting was to bring a copy of my academic poster for my supervisor to have a look at!

Finding that balance


Past Life at Southampton Blogger James wrote about working hard and playing hard…and he is absolutely right. All this dissertation fever can get you down what with the winter rain and minimal sunlight (it is autumn after all…)

So aside from making the library my second home, I have also found time to focus on other activities!
 
Getting as much sunlight as you can during the day is crucial to beating Seasonal Affective Disorder at this time of the year- and what better way to do that by enjoying the beauty autumn brings to Highfield campus.



Highfield Campus in Autumn (credit to the University of Southampton's Instagram account). 



The Filipino Society threw a Halloween party…



…complete with a buffet, games, and costume prizes!



The Big Bang! Fireworks display at Mayflower Park


It just goes to show that feeling overwhelmed about an important piece of work such as your Dissertation is okay so long as you make use of what is there to help you. Of course, it helps to be prepared by doing key research, planning your time wisely and rewarding yourself.

Now I’m off to do some more reading If you’re doing your dissertation as well, may no procrastination be ever in your favour!

Rylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment