Friday 8 July 2016

Preparing for your graduation day

It’s here! I am finally graduating after three years of studying on the 20th of July 2016!

Graduation is a great time to reflect on how far you’ve come along as a person during your time here at the University of Southampton. I can imagine the day to be exciting – we even had a marriage proposal during one ceremony last year!

Even though graduation symbolises tradition and, some may say, is all about pomp and ceremony, the whole day is not just about the gown nor is it about the hat, and it certainly is not just about the speeches. The day is to signal to your friends, family and yourself that you are in fact moving onto the next stage of your life. Your days as an undergraduate student have ended. Your life as an adult is approaching.

I’m writing this post today as I am in the middle of preparing for the event. The whole preparation experience needn’t be stressful. However, it would make your day go smoothly if you do a few things in plenty of time before the ceremony. You can think of this post as your checklist!

Preparing for the day


Outfit. First thing’s first, you need to get your style on! Luckily, the University has partnered up with a gown hire company, Wippells. Just go to the Graduation website to rent your gown and hat. Measuring yourself is so easy that you can do it yourself. When you’re done, simply enter your measurements and pay. You can pick up your robe and hat before the ceremony from the Union CafĂ© in Building 42.

I’d imagine there to be a lot of standing involved. There will be a reception marquee on the grass outside so the day will involve standing on grass too. So in terms of footwear, I plan on wearing small but smart heels. For me, stilettos are a no go. I’d like to spend my day outside and running around on the grass with my little brother!

Accommodation and Travel. 


I am staying in the city over the summer so I have a place where my family can stay with me for a few days. If you need accommodation for a few days, plenty of students are offering spare rooms over the summer; perhaps ask if any friends can let you stay. However, the city has plenty of hotels and B&Bs if you need to find one.

If you plan to commute down to campus for the day, the University has a Park & Ride service. An all-day ticket of £8 for one vehicle gives you a permit to park Wessex Lane Halls. You also get a Uni-link Bus voucher to enable all occupants of one car to transfer to the Graduation Ceremonies. A bus return journey is included in the price too. You can pay online now or pay the parking attendant on the gate. Alternatively, Southampton has excellent railway links! It’s just over an hour away from London and Southampton Airport Parkway station is only a 10 minute bus ride away from campus.

Tickets. 


Now for some information about tickets. The actual ceremony and two complementary tickets to the ceremony are free. In some instances, there may be a few spare tickets on the day which are an extra £10 each on entry to the hall. To find out more on the day, look for your Deputy Halls Manager in a purple robe in the venue about 45 minutes before the ceremony. You’ll have to listen out for your name if a seat becomes available.

However, you are welcome to invite as many friends and family you wish to share in your special day, even if there are no spaces in the ceremony. There are plenty of viewing areas with live ceremony streaming which do not require an entrance ticket. There is even a family marquee outside for little ones. I will have my five-year-old brother coming with my mum and my sister so it helps to have facilities that can accommodate him. I’m sure the little ones would appreciate not having to sit through such a lengthy and formal event.

Your faculty will hold a reception for you after the ceremony. You should have received an email invitation for this so if you haven’t registered, check your emails. The reception is typically free for you and two other guests. Light refreshments, sparkling wine and soft drinks will be provided for all.

On the day.


For a stress-free day, I plan to arrive in plenty of time. Luckily, my ceremony isn’t until 3.30pm which means I even have time to sleep in! The University recommends arriving at least two hours before entry into the hall which starts 45 minutes before the actual ceremony. This should give me enough time to collect my gown and hat from the Union building and leave some time for photographs to be taken.

In addition, you can treat your friends and family for a bite to eat at the numerous food establishments in and around campus. I don’t know about you, but I anticipate the day to be long. The last thing I’d want is for my stomach making noise whilst speeches are going on! Anyway, giving myself some time means I could even show my little brother the ducks on campus.

Don't forget to share your experience on social media too!


 

After graduation.


Congratulations! The ceremony is over and the tassels have been moved to the left side of the cap! Time for more celebrations with friends and family. The city has plenty of shops, clubs and restaurants for you to enjoy.

However, the perks of being a Southampton student don’t stop after graduation. As a University of Southampton graduate - and therefore a member of the Alumni community! - you are eligible for a 10 per cent discount on tuition fees for postgraduate study at Southampton.

You can also become as lifetime member of the Students' Union, Union Southampton, for a one-off payment of £15. This gives you great student rates such as discounted entry to Union films. You can even get involved in your choice of 300 student-run clubs and societies or volunteer during RAG (Raise and Give). This is perfect for someone like me who wishes to work in Southampton for a while before moving on. Southampton has become my new home and I’m not quite ready to leave it so soon yet!

Good luck and enjoy your graduation!

Rylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment