Friday 26 August 2016

Preparing for your adventure abroad: international students starting university

With the end of August approaching and Results Day already over,  most people who have applied for a place at university should now have some idea where they are going in September. I’m sure most people are happy that the wait is over, but then it hits you that it’s not long at all until the term actually start. Trust me, time flies!

Although this post is primarily for international students, there are definitely some tips to pick up for those who aren’t international students, but are still starting university next month. If you are in need of some packing tips, there are plenty of past blog posts which you should have a look at – and stay tuned, there will probably be some more in September. As for how to best prepare for University when you are an international student, here are my tips:

1. Get a notebook and treat it like your bible

Starting university means there will be tons of new pieces of information and not to mention dates you need to remember. Getting a notebook or just having some sort of system where you can write all of this down will help you a lot more than you think. Write down all the important dates like; when you'll be moving into halls, flight details, airport connection, campus introductions, Freshers' Week and your halls of residence address.

A packing list, what you need to buy/get done before moving, possible modules you want to take, who your academic tutor is are also things your notebook should include. In addition to a notebook, I got a little diary in which I wrote down all my expectations and fears about moving abroad and I kept writing in it consistently until my second year. Its already fun to see what I said in my first year, and I know it will be funnier in 10 years to look back at. Hopefully I’ll continue to write in it as I now go into my third year!

2. Orientate yourself on what the university offers

As an international student, the University offers a Meet and Greet service to pick you up from the airport and help you with the most basic things when you move to England; like opening a bank account etc. These things often start a couple of days before the official move-in weekend is and you do have to sign up for it. I was very lucky to have my dad accompanying me when I moved over, so I didn’t use this service. I lived with a couple of other international students who did use it and they were very pleased as well as they had set up an bank account before term started – a couple of months into term it hit me I should probably open a bank account in England, which is easier said than done, hence my next point...

3. Bank account, mobile number, doctor and national insurance number. 

When you move into halls you receive everything you need to register for the University health service and (as you quickly will find out) the queues to hand in this on campus are MASSIVE during the first few weeks. If you don’t fancy waiting in the line for hours, it is good to know you can register at any point during term. The same goes for setting up a bank account, getting a UK sim-card. etc. However, doing some of the “hard” work prior to moving is an idea. It is not really hard work, but orientate yourself online on what bank accounts are available, what are the fees and what documents you will need.

The same goes for getting a UK sim card; you can save a lot of money by checking all the different operators’ bundles and deciding if you want pay as you go or a contract. A contract means you need a bank account in a British bank, so it all goes hand in hand. A National Insurance number isn’t applicable to everyone, but if you intend to work you should get one. I signed up to be a student ambassador and when the payment form came later I realised I didn’t have a NI number and it takes a bit of time to get, so again if you intend to work find out what you need.



Moving into Mayflower Halls at the start of my first year!


4. Free up space on your phone

Not only for the hundreds of pictures you will take, but to download Skype, Viber, Whatsapp or whatever other apps you use to call home. Homesickness can happen to any of us regardless of whether we move 10000 km or 100 km from home. Luckily we have so many ways of communicating with those at home if you were to become homesick. If you, like me, have a mum who doesn’t quite understand her phone, downloading this for her and setting everything up before you leave is a good idea!

5. Join the official University of Southampton Freshers' groups on Facebook

This way you can find people doing your course or living in the same halls as you, already before you come to Uni. It is also a great source to find out about what events are going on during Freshers' Week. People use these groups frequently to ask questions, so you might find some extra useful information there and if you have questions yourself it is a lot easier to ask them there as you will get a reply faster than writing an email. These groups stay relevant throughout the whole year, and they are regularly updated.

I hope this was helpful and I wish everyone starting university next month the best of luck!

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment