Monday 10 June 2013

Friendships: the great divide

It’s that time of the university year – students are packing up to move out of halls, leaving home to start university or leaving university after their degree has finished. Summer is a time for change, and with change comes leaving things behind. Friendships forged at home or at university can unfortunately often be left behind by these changes.

Upon leaving my school friends after my A-Levels, I was concerned that my well-formed friendships that I had slowly but surely developed over my school years would come to an abrupt end. And the same can be said for those leaving university – suddenly, your friends are scattered across the country, from Dorset to Birmingham, from Kent to Bristol, and getting together regularly becomes a daunting thought. How on earth are you going to stay in touch with all of these people?

Of course, there’s the internet. Our generation has the fantastic advantage of social media. We can keep track of what our friends are up to with regular status updates and photo uploads on Facebook, snippets of their day on Twitter, and even new job announcements on LinkedIn. We can know everything about everyone we’ve ever met.

You can’t just rely on Facebook though. There’s an element of impersonality to it, I feel. It’s not the same as finding out that your friend has a new job or is moving to another country in person. No status update can compare to an excited phone call, or even a leisurely Skype session with a cup of tea to discuss life. Keeping in touch does take effort – if you rely on the internet, or the odd text or Snapchat, you won’t feel quite as close to that person anymore and, eventually, they risk becoming just another acquaintance.

If you’re leaving university for good this summer in a bid to enter the big wide world, or you’re embarking on higher education in September – or even if you’re worried about keeping in touch with people over summer between academic terms – I would urge you to make sure you meet up with these people as much as possible, or dedicate time to a proper chat.



Myself and my friends Lou and Rob at Grad Ball in June 2012, 
both of whom I stay in contact with – Rob regularly visits Southampton 
and we always make a point of meeting


This means finding time to visit them, arranging a half-way point to have dinner and have a catch up. Or putting a date in the diary for a lengthy phone call. This doesn’t have to be regular – if they're friends from home, you could meet up at least once every holiday. I’ve managed to keep in touch with some of my friends from home over the last four years with regular trips to the pub for a cider and a chat or a cheeky Chinese takeaway. It works. If you put the effort in to see or talk to your friends, they’ll put the effort in to see and talk to you.

This year, most of my university friends moved back home or away to start work or further education elsewhere – I was launched into a different experience here at Southampton, needing to forge new friendships which, thankfully, went well! However, I haven’t had much trouble keeping in touch with graduate friends; I have been able to chat to my old Southampton friends regularly thanks to the wonders of Skype and Facebook. But, most importantly, I have managed to meet up with some of them; those who live locally, or who still come back to visit their old university haunts from time to time. I haven’t been able to see as many of my friends as I would like, but I don’t feel like I’ve lost any friendships. It’s been a joy to catch up with people to find out how they’ve been doing!

My best friend from University, Lou, who was my flatmate for three years (and who also shares my love for all things chocolate-covered), has been studying for a PGCE in Reading this year. Although Reading is only forty minutes away by train, I haven’t been able to see her as much as I have wanted. But I do not feel like anything has changed – she came to visit for my birthday, and I recently popped up for a day of shopping and catch-ups. Both times we were able to start from where we’d left off. It felt like nothing had changed – and that, to me, is the mark of a strong friendship. It doesn’t matter how much time has passed, how much has changed, as soon as you’re back together you don’t feel like you were ever apart. Lou is just one of many friends I am fortunate enough to have this experience with and I am positive this is not only down to the fact that we are close anyway (having been mistaken for sisters in our first week as Fresher’s!) but we chat regularly, share jokes, and make a point to find out what we’ve both been up to.



Lou and I on the Isle of Wight last year


It’s not always possible to chat to people so often. Sometimes you can go months without hearing from someone. I must add that this is not the end of the world – just always be open to meeting or chatting in the future. The door isn’t closed; it’s just not possible to be in touch with everyone at the same time, all the time!

Someone told me that the friendships you make at university are the ones you keep for life. I can see what they mean – I know I will be close to so many people for the rest of my life. I have an excellent group of uni and home friends, thanks to making sure we don’t let things fade.



My friend Lissie and I in January when she popped by for a quick dinner and catch up


The university experience is mostly down to the friendships you make. I find myself wanting to stay in Southampton for many years – but everything changes when your friends leave. It’ll become a slightly different place –and you’ll begin to miss the people more than anything. Friendships make university what it is. So when you leave university for good, you won’t be leaving that life behind… if you keep those friendships going.

I hope to remain friends with my nearest and dearest for many years to come… as long as they feel the same way!


Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment