Wednesday 19 June 2013

WSA – Showcasing the University’s creative souls

As thousands of final year students handed in essays and finished exams over on the University of Southampton’s Highfield Campus, final year Arts students were working hard to complete their final projects at Winchester School of Art (WSA), ready for their Degree Show –  three years of work culminating in one final exhibition, celebrating their achievements at WSA.

As one of the university’s satellite campuses, WSA is sometimes, unfortunately, overlooked by many students at Southampton. The Winchester campus is where all the Arts students of the University of Southampton can be found – with courses such as Graphic Design, Fine Art, Fashion Marketing and Illustration available, amongst many more. The University of Southampton has so much more to offer than the courses found on Highfield or Avenue campus.



WSA is an utterly inspiring place to be when the exhibitions are on!


I have posted previously about my trips to Winchester; at only a 7 minute train ride away, I’m simply moments away from a change of scenery and a few hours in a very beautiful city. WSA is somewhere that all Southampton students should become familiar with, and with future sabbaticals at SUSU hoping to forge an even closer relationship with the campus in the next year or so, the connection between Highfield and Winchester should become closer than ever. Excellent news for any future students reading this!



Winchester School of Art campus is picturesque and peaceful!


Unfortunately I wasn’t able to support some of my graduating friends at last year’s WSA Degree show as I was finishing my undergraduate degree, but this year I was free and went along to have a look! I was able to meet my friend and ex-Wessex Scene Editorial Team member Bronwen Rees, whose work was exhibited, for a bit of guidance and a chat before I made my way around the exhibition.

The exhibition was spread across the entire campus, which really emphasised the idea of it being an event for the whole University, combining all areas of art which might otherwise stay separate. I could really see that a huge amount of work had been put into each project that meant that each one was highly individual and reflected the artist’s or designer’s personalities wonderfully. There was far too much to really go into detail about on this blog but I took photos of a few personal favourites.

Bronwen’s piece discussed the effect of Twitter on language and spoken and written word.  She had created a Twitter page, @LossOfLanguage,  to discuss the effect Twitter has had on communication and speech, and had altered a selection of books to ‘spoil’ them for readers, emphasising the effect it has on literature too.



Bronwen’s piece, which she said: ‘Is about how we use twitter and how 
it is impacting our ability to write and form sentences, as well as how it impacts literature’




As a fan of Twitter and social networking myself, I loved her project. The small details of her work, which was not only incredibly interesting but very easy on the eye, really stood out and demonstrated how many different methods of graphic design there are. I feel very honoured to have such a talented friend, and it was so great to finally see what she had been working on!

I also chatted to two Fashion Marketing students who were kind enough to talk me through their work and explained what drew them to studying the subject.



Fashion Marketing student Julia Camwell with her project ‘Move to your Own Rhythm’


Julia Camwell’s exhibit demonstrated her work on the famous fashion brand French Connection, which focused on transforming ‘the tired French Connection brand into a compelling, premium, contemporary. edgy and innovative fashion brand’ (quoted from the magazine produced for the exhibition). She explained how she didn’t even know that this course existed until she visited another university to study fine art, where she stumbled across a talk for this subject. She found that WSA was the best place in the country to study Fashion Marketing, and has never looked back!



Aphrodite Koupepidou, who also studied Fashion Marketing, with her project ‘The Urban Artist’


I was also able to talk to Aphrodite Koupepidou about her work; she had taken the popular fashion company Urban Outfitters, and experimented with the store layout, enabling the customers to produce photographs, graphic designs and paintings to be displayed alongside products, forming a strong relationship with the company’s target market. I thought her display was incredibly attractive and professional.

As a student who has spent her university life with her head buried in books, it was inspiring and refreshing for me to see what else is possible with a university education – it’s not all about essays and reading lists. These people are incredibly motivated and passionate, and this is even more obvious when you see all their work together in an exhibition like this one.



Fashion design examples on display, with catwalk videos and portfolios out for visitors.


I enjoyed seeing the huge range of work on show; from chunky unique knitwear and modern menswear, to mesmerising installations; from film and paintings, to innovative marketing ideas and skilled fine art work. I was able to spend two hours walking around with something new around each corner. For me, I was definitely looking at the work of future successful designers and artists. And as someone who studied fine art at A Level, and Textiles at GCSE, it brought back memories and made me wish I could experiment with art once more.



Graphic Arts student Jacob Coy’s exhibit was stunning… 
and smelt delicious thanks to the coffee beans!


I previously visited the John Hansard Gallery on Highfield Campus. What with that, and the WSA campus, there is so much local art and design available for everyone to see and experience.



More design examples which really caught my eye!




Some installation art on show


I felt that the event could have been better advertised across the University – I only knew about it thanks to having a number of friends at WSA. I’ve had some amazing times at the Winchester campus and I think, when the new Student’s Union is finished, it will be more inviting for Highfield students to visit – and more WSA students would be invited into Southampton! There is definitely an exciting future to look forward to. WSA is a fantastic place to be on its own, but its connection to our Southampton campuses just makes it that much more special.

The WSA Degree Show is only on until Sunday 23 June, so I recommend if you have a spare hour or so to pop along and take a look while you still can! Entrance is free and it’s open to the public, with some items on sale. There will also be a show in London at the end of July.

I had a fantastic time immersing myself in the world of art and design at WSA and hope that many more of you enjoy it while it’s still on show. Congratulations and good luck to all the students, too!

Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment