Wednesday 9 April 2014

The run-up to Easter

It’s been another busy couple of weeks in the lead up to the Easter holidays. I received a conditional offer to complete my master’s degree in London, took a day trip down to Corfe Castle and Durdle Door, had my assessment day for International Citizen Service, and managed to squeeze in a day at the Olympic Park.

Receiving my offer was an incredible feeling, and takes a huge weight off my shoulders now that I’ll definitely have something to do after graduation. It has been a nerve wracking few weeks whilst I’ve been waiting to hear, but it’s great to know that the time I invested in writing my personal statement paid off. I’m sure that all the opportunities I’ve taken advantage of whilst at the University of Southampton really made the difference – especially studying abroad – and although it will be a shame to leave the University behind and pursue a different course, I know that everything I’ve learnt here will stand me in really good stead to succeed in my future studies.  

Last weekend, one of the friends that I made in Japan came down to visit me in Bournemouth. It was fantastic to see her, as I hadn’t since we both left Kyoto at the end of July last year. I took her to see all of the sights, which included taking a drive over to Corfe Castle, and then on to Durdle Door. It really made me realise what a wonderful place we live in and how much beauty really is on our doorstep!



Afternoon tea with a wonderful view!



The day after she left, I went up to London for my ICS assessment centre. It was the first time I had been invited to attend one of these days, so I was a little apprehensive, and didn’t really know what to expect. As it turned out, I really had nothing to worry about – everyone, both staff and the other candidates – were really lovely, and the entire day was fairly informal and relaxed. It helped that they emphasised the fact that the candidates weren’t competing against each other, as they were really looking to take as many individuals on as possible. The day consisted mainly of group activities and discussions, along with quite a lengthy interview to assess whether we were ready to move abroad and take on a new project at this time in our lives. I feel as though it all went well, and am just waiting to hear back in the next couple of days. Although I can’t help but feel it had a very different vibe to most corporate graduate scheme assessment centres, all in all it was a really interesting experience and quite an enjoyable day.

I’ve been up in London for the last few days as I’m flying to Berlin tomorrow for a short Easter break. Today we managed to squeeze in a trip to the Olympic Park which, although a little windy, made for a lovely day out. It was the first time I had been, as I was volunteering in Indonesia during the summer of 2012, and it was so awesome to see the Aquatic Centre and the VeloPark up close. These facilities are now open to the public, so we’re planning on taking a trip back down there in a few weeks to swim in the pool and do a taster session in the Velodrome. I’m unbelievably excited to cycle on the actual track where Team GB won their gold medals! Although the weather wasn’t brilliant, it was great to see people of all ages getting outdoors, enjoying the park and engaging with a whole range of sporting activities. It’s something that we can all be proud of for many years to come!



The Olympic Park looking a lot warmer than it actually was



Looking forward to our taster session in the Velodrome


Tayler

No comments:

Post a Comment