Monday 22 September 2014

London, Freshers’ Week and more…


Last weekend I found myself back in London, but this time I wasn’t just passing through on my way to or from an airport or coach station (I’ve passed through London countless times this summer on my way to the different countries I’ve travelled to). I took the coach to London, which is really easy and goes straight from the University's Highfield Campus, and met up with one of my close dance friends from university who has recently graduated and has settled into a new job in the capital! 

It was fun to catch up and hear all about her exciting new life and how quickly she’s transitioned from a graduate to a professional business woman. It was interesting to hear about the diversity of the people she works with too; for example, while the job she has is related to her Accounting and Finance degree, she told me that actually a number of her colleagues come from very varied degree programs including Biology and Chemistry degrees. I found that very interesting, and it’s nice to know that it can still be worth applying for jobs even in fields unrelated to your chosen degree as long as you are interested in the subject area and have good work ethics and interview skills!



Shopping in London.


While in London we also had time to do some shopping and take a couple of dance classes at the Pineapple dance studios which was super fun! Speaking of dance, over the past week I’ve also had some time to use the Multi-Purpose Studio on campus (where all the dance classes and dance practises were held last year) to practise some of the choreography I came up with over the summer while at home in Sweden. I’ve also seen that the Activities Room in SUSU has recently been renovated and it looks great. This is really exciting and provides an extra dance space for all of the enthusiastic dancers on campus (as well as a great room for other societies who use the room for meetings and practise sessions). I’m excited to test it out and see how the floor feels when it opens for use and hopefully I’ll remember to take a photo of our studios to show you all too.

I’ve also been preparing for Freshers’ Week 2014 and the upcoming Bunfight, where all the societies have a chance to advertise themselves to the new and current students. I’ll be meeting with my committee for the Green Action Society this week and we’ll be finalising our plans for the day. We’re excited to welcome some new members, so don’t hesitate to come and find us on the day if you’re there! At the Bunfight you get to hear about taster sessions, which most of the societies offer, and these are great to go to even if you’re not entirely sure you want to join that society. They are usually completely free and it gives you a chance to try the activity out and see if it’s something for you. I encourage even the second and third year students to go and try something new!



Myself and two of my housemates during a Wakeboarding social last year. I never ended up having time to join wakeboarding last year but my housemates and I still went to the taster sessions which are free. And now, in my third year, I still plan on going to even more tasters. You never know what you might end up liking!




One of my friends and I from halls, who I also live with now, during Freshers’ Week in our first year. It’s crazy think that this was taken two years ago!


I can’t believe I’m already a third year student. It really doesn’t feel like it was two years ago that I started. Recently I’ve been focusing a lot on my third year project and having meeting with supervisors, safety and lab inductions and microscopy training. It’s all really exciting, but it’s really hard to comprehend how fast time flies by. Anyway, I’m excited for Freshers’ Week and hopefully I’ll even get to meet some readers of the blog, so don’t be shy and come and say hi!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment