Wednesday 24 September 2014

The start of something special

At this point, three years following my own arrival in Southampton, I’m not sure whether seeing a whole new set of eager and fresh faces on campus this weekend should have been quite as big a surprise as it was – surely I should be getting used to the concept of getting older by now (particularly as I’m just about to enter fourth year, crikey)!

But writing the night before the madness that is the Students’ Union Bunfight (the annual occasion on which all Union societies get together and recruit members in one mental day!), it seems strangely surreal to observe that yet another group of people will soon be discovering everything that the University has to offer for the very first time, particularly now that, to myself and the people I’ve now known for years, it’s all pretty much second nature – well, except for the whole 'cooking' thing, I guess (one day the kitchen shall be conquered)!

Because it’s not often you’re tasked with completely reinventing your life from scratch – learning how to cook while learning how to clean, learning how to study a subject with more independence while learning how groceries go off way quicker than you’d ever imagined, and making an entirely new set of friends while trying to figure out where everything is in the first place (I still don’t know most of the building numbers!).

So for all of these lucky individuals experiencing University life, totally independent study and the city of Southampton for the very first time, this could be the start of something special. My favourite thing it all is that the University is a place where you really do just learn. You’ll learn plenty about your course, and you’ll pick up a great amount of background, depth and new applications of knowledge at the forefront of your fields, but you’ll also learn equally as much about yourself, other people, and the world around you – including, if you’re like me at least, the location of the cheapest pint around here!

And it’s this clichéd 'journey of self-discovery', of learning all this stuff, which is where I’ve always found the real joy of university lies. Even heading into fourth year I’m still being faced, on a daily basis, with fresh challenges, new experiences and novel opportunities to overcome, embrace and, ultimately, learn about.

 For me, much of this has taken place through my (some might say overly!) active involvement in the Union’s Performing Arts societies, particularly its theatrically-affiliated groups such as Showstoppers (its musical theatre society) and Theatre Group. I’ve always tried to make the most of the unique opportunities that being fully invested in these societies has offered (while balancing it with my academic commitments, of course!), and despite now, almost twenty production credits later ranging from Director to the typically-female part of Gwendolen (for this summer’s Edinburgh play – it was interesting, to say the least!), I’m still being presented with new avenues for testing myself and the skills and experience I have acquired thus far, and it’s these sorts of opportunities I really hope to offer and relate to potentially interested Freshers at the Bunfight!



At a recent farewell meal for a fantastic guy, Nick – another great person Performing Arts has led me to!


The latest example of this arrives at the end of this week in the form of the latest show I’ve been fortunate enough to be a part of, John Kolvenbach’s comedy/romance Love Song, which is showing in the Annex Theatre from the 28th September to 1st October at 7.30pm every night (for cheap prices – so if you’ve any interest in theatre at all, it’s definitely recommended)!

Following the knock-on events surrounding Beane, an outcast from society who distances himself from materialism and other people in all aspects, falling in love with a girl, Molly, who sets out to rob him, it’s a hilarious yet heart-warming piece to be a part of, with a touching message or two along the way – well, that’s the desired effect, anyway!

And, for the first time, I’m lucky enough to be in the central role of a Theatre Group production, playing Beane, the oddball, himself – I’m sure my parents would love that casting! As a result, not only has Love Song carried plenty of new challenges for me – for example, getting used to not leaving the stage for huge spells of time! – but it has also pushed every member of the cast to tackle what is often a difficult text, as well as teaching us how to perform in an immersive, studio-style space – with the audience on stage with us (so I’m hoping nobody will be pulling faces)! It’s incredibly far removed from anything any of us have tried before, so although it’s incredibly nerve-wracking, it’s also just another example of just how incredible a learning experience getting involved with student societies can be.

So with the new Freshers all finding their feet as they prepare to embark on the best few years of their lives so far, here’s hoping that they, too, find their first few weeks to be the start of something special!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment