Monday 12 January 2015

Exam week begins!

I hope everyone had a lovely start to the New Year! I can’t believe it’s already 2015, but I’m excited to see what new adventures and experiences the year will bring; especially because this is the year I will be graduating from the University of Southampton and will soon need to decide on what to do afterwards!

I spent New Year’s Eve in Sweden at home with my Mum and sister. Normally I welcome the New Year with friends, however this year I decided to watch the fireworks with my family. As they are preparing to move back to Australia next month, I may not see them for at least seven months (maybe more depending on what I chose to do when I graduate), so I thought I should spend as much time with them as possible before flying back to the UK.



My sister and our dog on our last walk in the forest before I left to fly back to the UK. 


I’m now back in Southampton and have jumped straight back into finishing coursework, meeting deadlines and revising for upcoming exams. In fact, my first exam is tomorrow morning, so wish me luck! Earlier this week I had some coursework due including a poster answering the question “Intensive versus Extensive farming – which is better for the environment?” as well as an essay related to the question. I was very impressed by a number of the posters created by other Biology students on the module and this was also a good revision opportunity, seeing as the poster topics covered questions related to the course.

In my first and second year most of my assessed coursework was in the form of write-ups from laboratory practicals. In third year, we no longer have labs unless you have chosen a lab project for your third year project. Some projects require you to be in labs everyday - it varies a lot depending on the project you take on. Most of my assessed coursework this year has been in the form of essays related to topics covered in the module, or poster presentations which are good practice for when we will be presenting our third year projects in May. They’re also good for building important transferable skills to use in our course and when we graduate.

Coursework and revision have basically taken over my life since returning to the UK. We’ve decided to postpone our next Green Action event until after exams to allow everyone more time to focus on revision over the next couple of weeks, but we do have a lot of exciting things planned for this year!



Green Action committee during our last social before Christmas. 


In addition to Green Action I plan on joining Chinese Kickboxing society this semester. At the start of semester one I wrote about going to lots of different martial arts and self-defence taster sessions including Muay Thai, MMA, Kung Fu, Judo and more! Out of all of them my housemate and I probably enjoyed kickboxing the most, so we thought we should grab the opportunity to try it again while we’re still at university. We’re looking forward to starting weekly sessions once exams are over; it should be a great stress reliever during our last term.

So, with my first exam being tomorrow morning…I had better get back to work!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment