Friday 7 August 2015

The best thing about university is...

With a hand on my heart, the best thing about going to university is that you can never really know what you may find yourself doing at any point in your time here.

Since starting my studies at the University of Southampton, I never thought I’d be able to have the chance to do the things I’ve done, overcome half of the things I have challenged myself to, and never did I think I can become a blogger – but here I am!

And thus, here it is: my very first blog post.

I would like to introduce myself, if I may. I’m Rylyn, I’m a second year Politics and International Relations  student and by the end of my time here, I hope to better convince you why life at Southampton is, indeed, wonderful.

So… why Southampton?

In essence, it ticked all the right boxes!

Firstly, as a research intensive institution, my course in Politics and IR means I am around lecturers and professors at the top of their field. Not only that, but flexible learning means I have the freedom to pick modules that are incredibly interesting.

Secondly, the city itself is beautiful. It is big enough for you to always have somewhere to go and small enough for you to not feel alien to it. For example, WestQuay, one of the biggest shopping centres in the south with over 100 shops across 3 levels, is less than a 10 minute bus ride away. Its southern location means you get the best of British weather whilst being able to get on a direct train to the heart of London in an hour and a half! The proximity to the coast is also a plus!



A spontaneous trip to the beach!


Thirdly, Highfield Campus. Irresistibly lush with greenery and everything all in one place, you could sit outside and enjoy a cool drink from The Stags (The Students' Union's pub) in the summer, be there on time for your next lecture and enjoy a gym session to end your day. If you’re hungry there are many restaurants and shops on campus for you to choose from. You could enjoy a sit down meal at The Bridge or pick up a sandwich from The Shop. Not to mention other food establishments on campus like the CafĂ©, Piazza, and a street full of many more nearby!



A tour of Highfield Campus from the University's YouTube channel - useful for finding your way around!


Having spent my gap year working, volunteering, and deciding if university really was for me, I was sure I wanted academia to be a large part of my life. But moving to Southampton was initially daunting. I did find myself overwhelmed especially during Freshers' Week. For those who don’t know, Freshers' Week is the first introductory week of university where you move get the chance to meet your fellow first years, join societies, explore your new city and in general get accustomed to what your new home offers.



 Moving into my room at Connaught Halls at Wessex Lane


It is effectively when you are around new people 24/7.

You may be surprised to know that feeling overwhelmed is actually normal! I soon found myself enjoying the company of strangers who will soon be the closest friends I have ever had. The key thing to do here is to make the most of what’s out there for you. Just check out countless events listed on the SUSU (Students' Union) website.

But that doesn’t even encompass the limitless things Southampton has to offer in your coming-of-age.

It’s been two years since I started uni but I have found myself maturing beyond anything I could’ve expected. I have a small but dependable group of friends, know that my course is really what I wanted to do, and have a clearer vision of what my skills are. I’ve spent hours in the library after lectures and actually enjoyed it!



 A big hello from everyone here!


From workshops helping you plan the first steps towards a career (brilliant if you have absolutely no clue what you want to do with your life after university) to a large number of societies to join, university life thrusts you into getting to know yourself. In fact, one of the few things I wish I did during first year was go to the employability workshops hosted by the Careers team.

University is like a playground; an unpredictably wonderful playground with lots of smart people like you. Growing as a person in such an environment is something money cannot match.

Rylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment