Tuesday 19 April 2016

Borrowing a dog for the day

I’ve never really been one for being homesick. I miss my parents, but university is too much fun to worry about that for too long. However, I do get ‘dogsick’. I miss my family dog Teddy silly amounts and have done throughout my four years here.

Recently I found out about this wonderful site called ‘Borrow my Doggy’, which puts dog owners and potential dog sitters in contact with one another. Some people are looking for dog walkers, others are looking for someone to look after their pooch while they’re away. The concept is simple: not everyone can own a dog, particularly students who can’t look after a dog full time, but definitely have a spare afternoon for a walk around the common, and not all owners can fulfil their dogs’ exercise and care needs.



My dog Teddy - just look at that face!


I signed up and was contacted by a lovely woman who needed someone to look after her terrier Megan on Sunday mornings. I was thrilled; I have been trying to lose weight and since I’m not one for going to the gym I thought dog walking would be just the thing to get me out of the house and at least doing some exercise. So, Sunday rolls around I’m up early(ish) ready to meet my new pal and go for our first adventure on Southampton Common.

Alas it was not to be, as fate seems to have matched me with a dog that is as lazy as I am! We had barely gotten on to campus (which considering I live at the top of Church Lane is not that impressive) before Megan decided that we’d walked far enough, turned around and dragged me back home!

She spent the rest of the morning lying next to my feet providing a wonderful distraction from the coursework that I was attempting to finish up.



More belly rubs, less exercise please!


It was a delight to meet Megan and I’m looking forward to future Sunday mornings, and I endeavour to encourage her to go further than the SUSU shop! I know a lot of my friends miss their family pets, and things like this are a great way to enjoy the company of animals, without the responsibility of owning a dog full time.



She’s so fluffy


All in all, it was a great way to end the Easter break and I’m looking forward to being back at university properly…although trying to get back into a routine and wake up before 9am may be difficult!

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment