Sunday 24 June 2012

A journey into self

Well, the task of conjuring up words to describe oneself is too daunting a task and I have always struggled, yet I have never given up and have always discovered something new about myself in every attempt.

My journey through life began some three decades ago. Born in a small town in India to very loving and caring parents, I should thank my stars, indeed when I meet people who have been deprived of this love. Like a typical Indian family, I was surrounded by elders, friends and relatives all around and with advice for any possible issue and thus, had a very enriching upbringing with the primary focus on education. My parents always supported me in all my interests, be it writing, literature, arts or drama. But the primary focus always had to be grades and thankfully, I never disappointed my parents.

When I reached my Class 12 (A level equivalent), I had to move to New Delhi. A big city, a new school and new friends… it was all those things. Competition was fierce and there was no scope for a slip up. I distinctly remember my growing inclination towards drama and theatre and how my dad dissuaded me from pursuing it. “Theatre artists do not earn a living” was what he had said. It is indeed very courageous of people to go after their dreams regardless of what lies ahead and I have the highest regards for those who are able to do that… well, I did not have that courage then.

My pursuit for knowledge took me to various places – Goa, Pune, Cochin and Mumbai to name a few and I found myself with an undergrad degree and then another undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering followed by a postgraduate in Marine Engineering. Soon I realised that I had enough degrees on my table and it was the time to put my learning into practice. I joined the shipping industry and got totally engrossed in work. Time flew as always and I felt something was missing.


The iconic symbol of Mumbai - The Gateway of India



Me - taken in the lovely backwaters of Kerala in India

Sitting on my balcony on a lazy Sunday afternoon overlooking the sea in Mumbai, I found myself surfing the net for masters courses in the UK and Singapore (primarily because they are of one year duration). It seemed difficult in the beginning; a sabbatical in the midst of my career, managing funds and an expecting wife. It was a real dilemma and at times I felt it was overbearing. But whenever I am baffled in life by such a dilemma my grandfather’s last parting words come to my rescue, “Winners never quit, quitters never win”.


View of the sunset in Mumbai from my balcony

Well, things fell into place and through the ardent support of my family and last but never least my wife, I came to University of Southampton for my masters. It is every mechanical engineer’s dream in India to pursue their masters in the UK and I am grateful I was able to live my dream.

Rohit

No comments:

Post a Comment