Monday 11 February 2013

Out with the old, in with the new

It’s nearly pancake day – which not only means that shops will run out of eggs, flour and milk, but also that many will consider giving something up for Lent. Lent, if you aren’t familiar with it, is a traditional Christian event which normally lasts for around six weeks – between Ash Wednesday (the day after Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday) and Easter Sunday. During this period it has become tradition to give up a luxury, originally as a form of religious penitence – though as with many religious holidays, this has been somewhat lost. The pancakes eaten before Lent begins used to be a way of using up fatty foods, so that they would no longer be in the larder to tempt you; hence the unhealthy toppings!

Lent is a time when people give things up; normally the motivation is health. Many give up smoking, biscuits, cheese, cake or chocolate. Others give up something that they have become addicted to: alcohol, Facebook, and certain food groups like carbohydrates or dairy. I know a number of people who give up bad habits, such as biting their nails. In general, though, Lent is seen as a great time to get healthy, adapt and become a better person – much in the same way as New Year.

In the past, I have given up chocolate. It’s been a challenge to begin with, but within a week I have found that I barely miss it. I would substitute chocolate snacks with biscuits, yoghurts, dried fruit and sweets, when I needed a sweet fix. However, I am unsure that giving up chocolate would be a great idea this year; in the same way as last year, I am going through a stressful period of my university life and, as awful as it may sound, chocolate is one treat that may well comfort me after a long day in the library and at lectures, whether it’s a hot chocolate drink or a bar of Galaxy. As my Mum would say, it may not be the best time to give it up!

This year, I think it would be nice to reverse the negative focus of Lent. Instead of giving something up, and therefore depriving myself of food that I really don’t eat that much of anyway, I would love to take something up, consequently enriching my life and putting a positive spin on things.

During Refresher’s Week, I attended a free taster session for ZumbaSoc. I am no avid exercise fan, and haven’t had a gym pass since first year when I only went a grand total of six times. I try my hand at running, but want to wait until better weather (as I said, I am not really a dedicated fitness expert!) but I would like to get fitter and use exercise as a stress-buster too! The Zumba session (which I have wanted to try out for a long time) was fun and a great work out, and I had nothing to fear when I got the moves wrong!

Zumba, therefore, will be my new experience that I will take up for Lent. Along with this, I’m thinking of trying Yoga. I hope that this will have a more positive effect on my health than simply giving up chocolate altogether, and will take a similar level of self-control – it’s far too easy to say no!

I really recommend taking part in Lent, as a way of changing your lifestyle (especially if your New Year’s resolutions never worked!) even if you’re not keen on the religious side of things. It’s a good excuse to try something you’ve always wanted to do, or to stop those bad habits. The University and Students’ Union offer so many activities; it’d be a great place to start. Why not start sailing? Or get involved with RAG? You could even take up a new creative hobby, with ArtSoc or even the Cake Decorating Society! The opportunities are endless, and it’s time to make the most of the university environment and all it has to offer. For a full list of the societies available, take a look here:

So that’s that then. I’ll be trying to attend as many Zumba classes as possible, and attempting yoga in the solitude of my flat.

If that goes well, I may even give up putting sugar in my tea – I know my old housemates would be pleased if I managed that!



My cups of the tea in The Bridge may become significantly less sweet from now on!

Joanne

2 comments:

  1. What's this pancake day? I'm intrigued!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Optimistic Existentialist

      Pancake day is a tradition that happens on Shrove Tuesday, or the day before Ash Wednesday, when people celebrate the last day before lent by making and eating lots of pancakes - it's good fun, not to mention delicious!

      Delete