Tuesday 12 February 2013

Visit Britain… a golden legacy – part two (far and away)

Beginning from where I left in my last post, I would reiterate the importance of travelling as a tool to learning. It is the best way to learn about a country’s heritage and culture. Having stayed in UK for more than a year and that too as a student, where life begins and ends with learning, my quest for learning and travel took me to places far from Southampton. I got an opportunity to visit Cornwall (towards the south west of England) and then to Dover – the busiest ferry port in the south east. I visited the Jurassic Coast and Isle of Wight in the extreme south and managed to visit Inverness in far north in Scotland. I was mesmerised by the Scottish charm in Edinburgh, loved the city of Glasgow, was captivated by charming town of Fort William, craved for more in Liverpool and have breath-taking memories of Oxford. I would not even dare to include London in this list as words would not suffice if I began writing down my love for London. It is not just a city – it is an institution in itself, it is a way of life.

Well, each town in the country has a glorious past and a magnificent tale to tell. However, if I had to narrow down to three, which is quite an onerous task in itself, my list of three must-see places in UK would definitely comprise of Edinburgh, Cornwall and Oxford.  The reason behind my choice is that each of the three places mentioned above have a character of their own which is quite distinct and conspicuous and makes you fall in love with them.

To begin with, Edinburgh is rightly called the capital of Scotland for it mirrors the Scottish charm and its pristine beauty.  Someone I met long ago, a well-travelled man in his eighties, had told me that one must see three places before he dies – Edinburgh, Edinburgh and Edinburgh. And when I insisted on three he said… You should visit Istanbul and Venice other than Edinburgh. Well, I shall call myself fortunate at having seen all three. However, Edinburgh has left quite a mark on my impressionable mind, so much so that I would love to go there again and again. I have been to Edinburgh twice and every time it was difficult to leave… so awestruck I was with its charm and serenity. The Edinburgh Castle which stands tall in the centre of the city is a mark of its resplendent past and dominates the city from its great rock. The Royal Mile which is almost a Scots mile long runs from the Edinburgh Castle at the top of the Castle rock to Holyrood Palace on the other end. The Parliament at the end of the road is a superb example of modern architecture. My second visit to Edinburgh coincided with the London Olympics Torch Relay. It seemed that the entire city had descended upon the Royal Mile to catch a glimpse of this historic event. As one of the residents remarked… What a day to be at Edinburgh! We really loved every moment of it with its memories etched deep in our hearts.


Enjoying the Olympic revelries at Edinburgh - The Royal Mile


Cornwall forms the tip of the south west peninsula of the island of Great Britain flanked by Devon to its east… where my fellow blog writer Florence belongs to. The north and the south coast are quite different, the north coast being more touristy with extensive stretches of golden sand. I happened to visit Newquay during the week of Bank Holiday in April last year with a few friends and their families. The drive from Southampton to Newquay was hectic, yet enjoyable in the company of our friends. We had hired a few caravans in one of the parks at Newquay, very near to the town centre. The whole weekend was quite chilled out and we enjoyed the facilities of the park to its fullest. The beach was quite wide and the weather being nice, we had a great barbecue in the afternoons. There were a lot of adventure activities for those looking for an adrenaline rush like water scooters, cliff hanging and coasteering. It was one of the most relaxed holidays I had had in a long time and I really recommend it to those looking to unwind and relax.


With wifey dear at Newquay



Mesmerising beauty at Newquay beach


Hardly anyone from an English speaking country like India would not have heard of Oxford. I remember being given an Oxford dictionary when I was merely seven years old by my grandfather. The dictionary must be a hundred years old and I still have it preserved as one of my biggest treasures. In India, a graduate from the University of Oxford is still looked up to as a go-getter in life. Our learned Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh has the distinction of not just being a student of the University but also of being one of its faculty members. I had always craved to visit Oxford and was rather delighted at having got such an opportunity last November. The university town is the home of the oldest University in the country and the English speaking world. I made it a point to take a guided tour of the city and a visit around the University.

I am glad that I was able to visit the places of great historic and cultural significance in this diverse country with a golden legacy. Hope my fellow International students at the University also make the most of their stay in UK and travel far and wide… I bet they would always cherish these moments throughout their lives.

Rohit

No comments:

Post a Comment