Tuesday 26 February 2013

Keep calm and study on

For students, stress can be a huge problem. It’s not just about academic work which, truthfully, is the main source on anxiety. No, it’s also the pressure of starting a new life during Fresher’s week, the struggle to start a new life post-uni for soon-to-be graduates, the desire to fit in, to balance work and play, and - for those involved in various roles in SUSU and in societies - the pressure to stay on top of absolutely everything. Not to mention money, debt, unemployment and peer pressure. Add all these together, and your average student is a proverbial mass of nervous energy, ready to implode at any moment.

It’s not always stressful. If time is organised properly, you can use the period after deadlines to recharge – you might be able to take one or two mornings off a week, or maybe spend one evening ignoring your smart phone to be with your friends and loved ones.

Productivity is the key to success in the university domain, regardless of what success means to you. However, productivity can be greatly compromised by stress, and it’s key to try and remain calm when things get on top of you.

I’m not really one to preach. I am personally well known for my stress and anxiety levels, and when I’m not worrying about university work, I’m worried about work for the Wessex Scene, my life after I finish my Masters, personal relationships, basic aspects of life and, if it’s possible, much more. And when I finally find peace… I worry that I’m not worried. This is why I have developed a collection of a few ways to keep myself calm.

So, here are a few things that might stop you from stressing out too much – remember, University is meant to be fun too!

1. Cook. Whether you just want to bake some brownies to eat all by yourself – I mean, share with your friends! – or you fancy something different for dinner, cooking can be therapeutic. It forces you to take some time out, spend a few minutes out of your bedroom or the library, and to focus on something else. Not forgetting the resulting food – which is always yet another stress-buster for me….

2. ….Food. I’ve posted before about how food is a major source of relief for me here at university. A decent meal at the end of the day serves as a reward, or a spontaneous batch of cupcakes can really make the day go by easier. It’s important not to go overboard and eat unhealthily, but taking the time to have a themed evening with your housemates can really make you feel better – I make sure I have pizza and film nights or fajita nights with my flatmate around once a month, and it’s very much needed!



Treating myself to lunch at the Carvery at the Bridge Bar on a Sunday let me take some time out, and was delicious and cheap! Perfect.


3. Sport. I’m not a sporty person. The piece I sent in as my application for this blog job recounted a very unfortunate jog around the common (much to my editor’s amusement!) and I try desperately to do Zumba when the classes are running. However, as rarely as I do exercise, I am always surprised at how good I feel afterwards, and it’s nice to take your anger out on the pavement! Make use of your gym pass, go swimming, or just go outside and run around (even if it is in the style of Phoebe in Friends) – you’re sure to feel better afterwards.

4. Make time for yourself: Schedule in time for yourself when things are getting too much. When Sunday evening comes round, put down your books, leave the library, turn off your Facebook notifications on your smartphone and do what makes you happy. Whether it’s going to the Stag’s for a cider, wandering round the Common, curling up in bed with a copy of your favourite magazine and a cup of tea or even doing a little window shopping, it’s important to keep yourself sane by remembering what makes you happy!



Spending time at Southampton Common can really calm your nerves, whatever the weather


5. Join a new society: If you’re struggling to let yourself take time out, joining a new society will force you to, due to your scheduled sessions! Soon you’ll be ‘forced’ to stop what you’re doing and go to the next session for ArtSoc or Debate Society – and it will come as a welcome relief!

6. Go home: If all else fails, head home for the weekend for a few days of home cooked food, comforts and maybe to visit old friends – it always works for me!



 Spending time at home with my family really lets me physically get away from work for a bit, and can be a real comfort when things get tough. This is me and my Dad on a walk near our home.


There’s no harm in giving up and letting yourself do what you want to for a few hours. As long as you manage your time properly, you shouldn’t have to give up what you love. Taking time out will just make you more productive – as long as it doesn’t border on constant procrastination! Make sure you keep your stress levels at bay, and you’ll really be able to fully enjoy your time here at Southampton.

Joanne