Monday 4 March 2013

Birthdays are always special

February has always been a special month for me and the prime reason for it being so special is my birthday. I have distinct memories of my birthday right from my early childhood days. I still remember the feeling of anticipation and joy which used to engulf me as the special day approached.

As a small child, I used to cross days in the calendar and count the DLMB (Days Left for My Birthday). The birthday week was spent in anticipation of what would ensue on the ‘D’ Day. I remember that my mother always baked my favourite cake for me during the morning; it was covered in delicate icing and I kept hopping from one room to the other waiting for the evening. Then, the prized cake cutting ceremony would arrive and I could finally devour my delectable piece of cake.

Till my teenage years my parents used to invite all our relatives and friends over on my birthday. It would be a fun filled evening with my elder brother organising a lot of games. By the end, the house could be mistaken for a hurricane hit zone. My mother would prepare all my favourite dishes and there were no restrictions on that day on the number of sweets I could have.

My favourite part of the day was when we opened all the gifts; it is still something which I love doing!

When I left home for my graduation, I realised that I missed the pampering on my birthday more than anything else. Birthdays had assumed a different meaning by then. With friends in the Halls of Residence, it was an occasion to gather around and give birthday bumps to the Birthday boy. It was indeed touching to find friends who cared so much and organised a cake cutting event.

But more often than not, I would miss my Mom and Dad on my special day. It always reminded me of the selfless love and unflinching support I had always received from them. It reminded me of my days as a toddler when I would just run around everywhere in the house with my Mom running after me to ensure that I did not get hurt.

Now I am in my thirties, birthdays are a more subdued affair. We generally have a few close friends and family over and have a nice evening of catching up. My dear wife has never failed though, in her attempt to make the evening special for me every year. She knows very well that I look forward to my share of attention and pampering on this special day.

My birthday last year at Southampton was one of the best I have ever had. I had just finished my exams, a month long arduous journey with books and my laptop. My wife did the baby-sitting all through, my daughter being just four months old. We were facing an unusual spell of fierce February cold with snow around. We were eagerly looking forward to a break from this monotonous routine. I woke up early on my birthday and was glad to see a clear sky. My friends came over from Basingstoke and we had a quick round of coffee and set off for Portsmouth to catch the sunshine and make the most of a bright, sunny day.


Thereafter, it was pure fun and frolic. Shopping in Gun wharf Quays, lovely lunch at Zizzi, cool photography at the Spinnaker Tower and much more! The evening was spent with a solemn cake cutting ceremony back home with home cooked lamb chops and curry.




I realised that I still loved opening the gift wraps of each and every gift at the end of the day and felt elated at my prized possessions. They say that there is a child in every man; the child in me does come out on these occasions. I love being a child on my birthday!

Rohit

No comments:

Post a Comment