Monday 11 March 2013

The Prime Minister’s visit to India

During an otherwise calm and chilly February, suddenly the newspapers and news channels were abuzz with news of David Cameron's visit to India along with his entire trade delegation. The news was in itself interesting enough to garner my attention for three prime reasons.

I was in Mumbai during Cameron’s last visit to India in 2010 and followed him closely on the news and print media. I found him quite good to listen to, a person with vision and intent, who looked enterprising in his approach. I didn't know at that time that I would get an opportunity to study in the UK and be at the receiving end of his policies and vision.

Secondly, having now spent more than a year as a UK resident and student, I seem to speak with a sense of authority about life in the UK - at least where my relatives and friends are concerned.

The third and most important reason behind my interest in the PM's visit was a member of his entourage: none other than the Vice Chancellor of the University of Southampton, Don Nutbeam. I have been following his blog about his visits to various nations as part of the PM led delegation – Malaysia and Pakistan to name two. His views on the educational system of a country and the country as a whole have been very interesting reads. Now, I wanted to know what he felt about India and Indian educational system.

The visit was quite promising. The promises made by Cameron - to look into relaxing the visa norms for Indian students, removal of a cap on the number of students coming to the UK, removal of a limit on their duration of stay - found a lot of favour. The UK has always been a prime destination for any student looking to go abroad for his or her studies. I can relate from my own experience that apart from the visa process (which was quite frustrating), my entry, stay and education in the University has been very smooth. I must thank the International Office and Student’s Union which form the backbone of the whole set up in the University, which welcomes an International Student.

There are thousands of Indian students hoping to benefit from a British degree. I hope their voices are heard, that the Prime Minister's promises are kept, and - as the Vice-Chancellor has said in his blog - that the rules are made favourable and welcoming for Indian students.

Rohit

No comments:

Post a Comment