Monday 18 March 2013

Time to recharge

It seems like only yesterday I was writing about how much I was looking forward to the start of a new term – but the next thing I know, we’re at the tail end of one!

Time certainly flies at University, and it’s odd to think I’m nearing the end of my second year here in Southampton. Although initially the days seemed to tick by a bit slow when I was adapting to the independent life in Higher Education (which seemed to be a mutual feeling amongst my friends elsewhere as well), ever since I settled into it weeks have shot past like a whirlwind, bringing some incredible experiences, achievements and opportunities along with them – sometimes it feels like living in a bubble, separated from the outside world!

Take, for example, last week, during which I had the privilege and honour of being part of the cast of SUSU Showstoppers’ Parade in the Nuffield Theatre. After having performed in a fair few shows for the Theatre Group in the Annex Theatre, a fairly intimate setting, the chance to move into the grand, professional venue was too good to miss; it was certainly a shock to find we all had individual mirrors, seats and desks in the dressing room, for example!

And although at first we took a bit of time getting used to throwing our voices to the far rows, as technical details and scene change issues were swiftly sorted by the staging society, I can’t express how proud a moment it was to finish our first show in an explosion of beautiful music, and to be on the other end of a standing ovation as a result.

Every single person in the cast played their part in a hugely successful show, and all deserve the plaudits they received in the student press and from audience members alike. And, from a personal perspective, I didn’t cause any catastrophes or injuries in any of the dance numbers, which was my own target all along!



The ensemble provided a great backdrop on which to paint the story – although I was just happy to get by making relatively few mistakes! (Credit: Joe Hart)

So as we move into the holidays and the post-show blues kick into overdrive with us all missing the catchy melodies, the buzzing atmosphere and, most of all, the great friendships that being part of such a spectacle yielded, I know I would do it all again in a heartbeat – although it’d have to be after getting some much-needed sleep, I think!

I’m looking forward to meeting up with all my friends back home and hearing their own tales of the past two months (everyone usually brings back a corker or two!), spending some quality time with my family (and cats!), and just relaxing and taking a breather from the frantic (and occasionally frenetic!) lifestyle of University – although getting up before mid-day and reverting back from a nocturnal timetable might be a shock to the system!

And as always with being a student, there’re things to be getting on with once natural sleeping patterns have been restored, specifically a great deal of coursework (with my own optimistic target to get one a week done)! Plus, with exams on the horizon a month or so after we return (a month which involves two more Theatre Group shows for me – no rest for the wicked!), a spot of revision mightn’t go amiss!

With a four-week intermediate holiday included it’s always quite difficult to plan work in advance for the second semester of the year, and although last year it proved quite productive (but not enough!), this year I’m hoping to make the most of it and get ahead of the game work-wise.

It’ll take great self-discipline – possibly more than I’ve shown in the previous fortnight or so as fatigue has begun to take its toll – but if I accomplish my goals, it should allow me to attack the examination period with momentum and great gusto upon my return.

And, most importantly, I’d like to get some sleep whilst I’m at it! I hope you all enjoy a well-deserved break!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment