Monday 19 August 2013

Dear class of 2013

(I know in my last blog post I said I would be writing about Southampton’s history, but with results day so fresh in everyone’s minds I decided to welcome our future students. I’ll explore the history of the city in my next post. I promise!)

Dear Class of 2013,

Firstly, congratulations on getting into the University of Southampton! Whether it’s a deferred entry, first choice, second choice or clearing; you’re about to become a part of one of the top universities in Britain – and even the world! I hope you’re ready for the best few years of your life. It’s going to be incredible – and I’m speaking from experience.

I know how nervous you must have been last week on results day. I remember mine well, back in 2009 – frantically refreshing the UCAS website, watching as my friends updated their statuses with messages of success. I wondered if I would be so lucky.



Not quite results day, but me and my friend Caitlin at our year 13 Prom
 in July 2009 before any of this had ever happened!


I shouldn’t have worried. I got into Southampton, which was my first choice, and have spent the last four years loving every single moment. From writing essays (you’ll miss them when you’re no longer a student, honestly!), to Christmas celebrations as a flat; from graduation, to simply grabbing a post-lecture drink at the Stags. In fact, I don’t really want to leave, with under a month left to go!

However, I don’t really want to become the Gary King of Southampton (those of you who have seen The World’s End will know what I’m talking about). So I suppose the time will come for me to say goodbye.



I’m still making new friends right up until my last few weeks here!


As I finish my four year education, and head towards the unknown, you are only just beginning the best years of your life so far. You have Freshers’ Week ahead of you, meeting new lifelong friends, getting to grips with the new level of work, and finding out more about yourself than you ever thought was possible.

I can’t help but feel incredibly jealous. I’m not good with change (a well-worn joke with my old housemates!) and there are very few things I wish I could have done differently over the last few years… really, I just wish I could do it all again!



My first big night as a fresher in September 2009; 
the excitement on my face sums up my time here at Southampton!


I thought now might be the perfect opportunity to pass on a little information and advice to you for preparing for your very own ‘Life at Southampton’. I have plenty of experience; so here’s what I have to say to you all.

Six tips for preparing for your first few weeks at university:

1. Make the most of it: try not to wish days away. Even days when all you do is sit in your onesie eating cereal, or when you’ve been staring at the opening line of an essay for the last four hours. You’ll miss it one day. It’s all part of it. So relish it! This especially counts for those last days at home, and the first few days as a student. You will never quite get the same feeling again, so really just enjoy it!

2. Bring a door stop: if you buy one thing for halls, make it a door stop. Everyone will tell you the same thing: you won’t make friends if your door is shut! Welcome people in, make them a cuppa, offer them a digestive and get to know them. Basically, be as forward as you can be. I struggled at first, but it gets easier as the week goes on. You just have to be brave! People won’t be judging you – everyone is in the same boat.

3. Look after yourself: my first meal was beans, toast and a very lumpy poached egg. I’m no five star chef now, but I’ve expanded my skills a little. It’s essential to stay healthy, especially as a fresher when you’re known for going a little wild. Eat properly, have the occasional early night, and just look after yourself. Fresher’s Week will be intense, even if you’re not out every night, so while you’re still at home catch up on sleep and stock up on vitamin tablets and paracetamol. If you eat well from your first few days in halls, you’ll be less likely to get into a bad habit.



Our Christmas dinner in second year – make sure you eat properly!


4. Explore: I didn’t really start exploring the city until second year, when I moved out of halls. I was very unfamiliar with Portswood, and had never been to Winchester. So before you have lectures and placements, take the chance to wander round, familiarise yourself, and find those awesome restaurants and coffee shops in enough time to actually enjoy them before you graduate. The first semester is all about getting used to it all – and it’s a great way to get to know people better!



Me and my housemates Josh, Lou and Will, the day after we met for the very first time in 2009! We went exploring and ended up by the docks, which was great fun and helped us to bond.


5. Don’t be scared to talk to someone: You’d be surprised at how many people struggle with homesickness, anxiety, and stress within the first few weeks of university. It’s a real issue, especially if you’re living away from home for the first time. I was fortunate enough not to feel homesick at all (I think I even surprised myself with that one!) But I do struggle with stress and anxiety a fair bit. If you feel down, find someone to talk to; either through SUSU’s Advice Centre, or even just your new next door neighbour. You’re not alone, and you have the advantage of being with thousands of likeminded people. There are plenty of people you can talk to if you find yourself struggling with anything. Chances are there are other students out there in the same position. And nobody will judge you – everyone in your first week – no, year, is out to look after one another.

6. Start as you mean to go on: You won’t be quite so concerned with work in first year – it’s natural. You need to pass to get into second year, but (in many cases) your mark does not count towards your degree. This means a tendency to be a bit too relaxed. Although this can be a blessing – and a relief, if you find yourself struggling a little at first! – I don’t personally think you should be too laid back. Starting to work well in first year means the workload in second year won’t be such a shock, and then again in third year. Make the most of being able to test your abilities, work out where you stand academically, and how best you work. This is the year you can afford to make mistakes and learn from them. If you lack any effort at the beginning, you might struggle to get going when it really matters. I worked hard in first year, but also had plenty of time to relax and have fun, and never missed out on anything. After all, you worked hard to get here!

There is, of course, much more advice I could give you, but there simply isn’t enough space. Do feel free to ask any questions in the comment section – I’d love to help you with any issues or queries to ensure that you start university on the best foot possible, and I’m sure the other bloggers would too!



Welcome to the University of Southampton! I’ve had the most amazing time here.


Welcome to Southampton and good luck, class of 2013 – you’re in for the time of your life!!

Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment