Monday 5 August 2013

Donning those caps and finally GRADUATING

So it is official; I am a University of Southampton Graduate. Yikes!

Last week my crazy family spent a frantic morning straightening hair and reapplying waterproof mascara all in an effort to be prepared for my graduation, when it turns out that it is impossible to be fully prepared for this kind of day.

Returning to Southampton pulled at my heart. We had parked at my old house and memories surrounded me, but now in the most surreal sense. I felt like I had just been on holiday and that I was now returning to my campus, in the sun, and in full swing. The campus had taken on a festival style – there were tents everywhere, BBQs, Pimm’s was flowing and everyone looked fabulous. All I wanted to do was stay there.

When I arrived at the campus with my mother and grandmother desperate to know what was happening, where their tickets were, when they needed to take their seats and whether – despite being 3 hours early – they were running late. Keeping the family happy is a stress I am sure every graduate can relate to.

However, once I’d gone to the Students' Union and someone had donned me in all my crazy gown finery, I felt ready to rock this graduation. It was swelteringly hot but nothing made me want to take off my gown or hat. It felt stupidly intelligent!



The happy, and surprised, owner of a BA in Philosophy and English Literature!
Never thought this day would come! 


Endless photographs are another thing I am sure every graduate can relate to. I felt famous, and I am unashamed to say, it felt fabulous. I am the youngest in my family and for my mother there was something quite emotional about seeing me all dressed up ready to attend an event which marked the pinnacle of my education. I was also quite emotional; I was officially no longer a student. No more student discount. No more long holidays. And no more comfortable, wonderful Southampton living.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am excited about the future and this next adventure, but it is natural to mourn the passing of something so sweet.

But, once I was in the gown I was swept away. There were friendly people directing you all the way – telling you were to sit, when to walk, and how to hold your hands – which was a relief because the prospect of walking onto stage and talking to Vice-Chancellor Don Nutbeam was actually quite terrifying. I had that panic every girl in heels has: I am going to trip up and fall flat on my face and humiliate myself for ever more. Thankfully this didn’t happen. A great relief because my sweet Aunt had found the link to watch my graduation online and had distributed to all my extended family and I knew if I fell over it would never be forgotten.



Proud Grandmother and happy Granddaughter


My graduation day was special, I felt proud of myself, of all my friends that surrounded me and of my university: We had done it, we had finished and were leaving with cracking degrees. Don Nutbeam’s graduation speech reminded us that in this horrible economic climate we are leaving with a degree from a university in the top 1% of the world, which is, let’s face it, pretty impressive stuff.  It was a great day in which greatness was shared, to spend time with family and friends and all the people that made University what it was. I enjoyed seeing and speaking to my lecturers and it dawned on me what a great community I was leaving. My emotions were mixed; I was happy to be graduating having done well in my degree, I was so sad to be leaving and growing up, I was proud of all my friends and I was so very thankful for my parents' support that had enabled me to come to Southampton. I left feeling lucky.

Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment