Thursday 26 September 2013

So long, student life!

The time has come for me to say goodbye.

Goodbye student housing; goodbye student discount! Farewell lectures, seminars and book lists. Goodbye assignments and journals… goodbye student life!

I’ve had the most incredible time as a student at the University of Southampton and it’s very hard to believe that it’s come to an end and to put it all into words.  I knew for years that I wanted to go to university, and had no doubt about doing a degree. I even knew I wanted to do a Master’s Degree afterwards; when asked on my Leaver’s video at school where I wanted to be in ten years’ time, I said I’d like a degree and maybe even a Master’s – four years later, I’m already there!

For the first time in my life, I now have no concrete plans. I’ve always known what I’ll do next, until now. As somebody who enjoys organising every element of her life, this is an incredibly daunting thought. What should I do next? In my mind, hundreds of paths stretch before me, giving me so many possible options… should I do a PhD? Find a job in London? Stay at home to save money? Should I apply for an internship first? My main objective is to see this as more of an excellent opportunity to mould my life around my dreams and wishes, rather than a black abyss that many graduates often feel that they are facing.



Two cards I was given upon moving home, giving me optimism for the unknown future!


I’m not pretending it isn’t scary – it is! But ultimately, with all of the skills I’ve learned at University, both professional and personal, I could really choose any of the paths in front of me. The world is my oyster, and I could do anything.

Since I moved away from Southampton last week, my time as home has been somewhat of a whirlwind. I‘ve been catching up with friends from home and seeing family. I am very excited about being able to read for pleasure again, since my time is not taken up by course reading lists and assignments.  I’ve already got stuck in to Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of being a Wallflower after numerous recommendations, and have a stack of novels just waiting to be devoured. I’m also keen to start sketching again, since art is a love of mine which has been neglected since starting my academic career at Southampton – although I did go to ArtSoc a few times! I’m also aiming to start up my own blog; since I won’t be writing for Life at Southampton any longer, I aim to maintain my passion for the written word myself. Blogging will allow me to get my writing out into the world, regardless of what job I go into!



I’m already a fair way into this book – a change from my usual course texts!


So yes, this is my last blog post for Life at Southampton, and it’s been an absolute joy. From the moment I submitted my first blog post, I have been keen to share every aspect of my student life with you all – from my basic culinary skills and experiences with student media and the Wessex Scene, to exploring the surrounding areas and recounting my wonderful graduation day. I am sad that this little pocket of my university life is over too – after all, it is one of the only connections with Southampton I have left. Through this blog I have pushed myself to experience new things, to visit new places and to see things in a new way. It has provided me with many opportunities, and I like to think that maybe someone who read our posts on this blog was compelled to visit Southampton at the recent Open Days as a prospective student. If you’ve been reading these blogs – written by myself, Robin, Flo and Rohit over the last year, thank you very much! I know we’d all like to think we’ve inspired someone along the way!

I started university as a very shy young lady who was unsure of herself and of her place in the world. I had low self-esteem and wasn’t sure if I’d fit in, since my time at school was not easy. I certainly would not have been able to run for Deputy Editor, talk at the university Open Days on the Nuffield stage, or even take myself off to explore the secret Valley Gardens or Hansard Galley on campus. But I’ve done all of these things and more,  made countless friends and gained so much experience, and I am emerging with more confidence and ambition than I had four years ago.



I’ve met some incredible people over the last few years, many of them friends for life. 
This is me with my lovely undergrad housemates the night before results day, 2012!


So who do I have to thank for all of this? Well firstly, my family. My parents have helped me through every moment, from stocking up on essentials and moving me in to Orion’s Point in 2009, to the minute I climbed into the car to travel back to Kent last week. Their support and encouragement has been invaluable and I couldn’t have done it without them.  My flatmates – including the original Flat 203 – coursemates and colleagues at SUSU Media have all played a huge role and I hope to keep in touch with many of them for years to come. Everyone I’ve met throughout my time here has made an impact on my life and I want to wish everyone the best of luck for the future! It’s hard to put into words how much everyone means to me. In that respect, thank you to the University – to the staff and the students, for giving me such a wonderful life for four years. 



I’m back home now, and adjusting to a new lifestyle


What would I say if someone asked me where I’d like to be in another four years – in 2017!? I’d probably tell them that I’d like to still be reading avidly and in touch with many of my university friends. I’m not sure what job I’ll have, but whatever I’m up to I’d like to be using my brain, challenging myself and experiencing new things every day.

Good luck to the next group of Life at Southampton bloggers – I’m looking forward to keeping up with all of your adventures!

Thank you and goodbye, student life. It’s been absolutely incredible. I’m very proud to be an alumnus of the University of Southampton.


Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment