Wednesday 6 November 2013

And so it begins…

Hello everyone! My name is Tayler and I’m in my fourth and final year as a Modern History and Politics undergraduate here at Southampton. I’m one of the three new writers on the Life at Southampton blog, and I’m extremely excited to be taking over the mantle from Florence, Jo and Rohit. Here’s hoping I can live up to their high standards!

When I first came to university, I expected to be here for three years, live with the people I met in first year, and maybe take up a new sport. In actual fact, it didn’t happen that way at all. I’ve stayed an extra year, visited and lived in seven different countries, learnt a new language, lived with different people every year and got involved in three different societies. I’m commuting from home this year too – I live in Bournemouth, which is around a 40 minute drive away – which has added a whole new dimension. While my university experience hasn’t exactly been conventional, I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.



During my trip to Indonesia in Second Year


I spent the last year studying abroad at Doshisha University, in Kyoto, Japan – a once in a lifetime experience that I never even knew would be possible until I arrived at university, and one which has enriched both my academic and personal development more than I had ever anticipated. Studying in Asia allowed me to gain an entirely new perspective, and the sense of achievement was incredible – I had to overcome so many challenges, not least the fact that I spoke no Japanese when I arrived! And, in between eating sushi, singing karaoke and, of course, studying (which, contrary to popular belief, does occasionally happen during study abroad!), I managed to travel around Japan – trips to Tokyo, Hiroshima, Sapporo and all the way down to the southern islands of Okinawa. It truly is an incredible country, and I would recommend the experience to anyone.



Origami in Japan


Now I’m back at Southampton for my final year. Things are very different from when I left – the majority of my friends have just graduated so the amount of people I know on campus has decreased by about ninety per cent! As I said before, I’m commuting this year, which can make nights out somewhat of a logistical nightmare, although I can’t help but feel this is a blessing in disguise. It is third year after all – things are getting serious! I can say with some certainty that this year is going to be less exciting than the last, and I’m gearing up for some long shifts in the library as my dissertation deadline looms. But I’m determined to enjoy it to the full, as everyone tells me I’ll miss it when I’m gone!

Although sometimes it seems a little strange that only a few of the friends who I started university with are still here, I tend to try and focus on the positive – it’s forced me to get out there, join some new societies, and get involved with things that I never thought I would. I’m the Travel Editor for the university’s official magazine, the Wessex Scene, and I’ve also joined the Athletics and Cross Country Club. I started running whilst I was in Japan and am now a complete addict – a year ago I couldn’t even run for ten minutes, and I just ran my first half marathon last month, proving that anything really is possible when you put your mind to it!



Before and after the Bournemouth Half Marathon!


It’s easy to become comfortable at university – hanging out with the same friends, frequenting the same clubs and bars. Sticking to what you know, rather than branching out. But sometimes, when you put yourself out there and try something new, amazing things can happen. So my advice to you, if I may be so bold as to give it, is to mix it up a little. Join a new society every year; get involved in something you’ve never tried before, something random, ridiculous and maybe even a little bit daunting. Meet some new people, because – let’s face it – you can never have too many friends, and those you meet in your final year could turn out to be just as great as the ones you made in Freshers’. Try out a new club night, or restaurant, by yourself, with a friend or as a house. But whatever you do, keep things new and exciting. After all, life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tayler

No comments:

Post a Comment