Friday 15 November 2013

Studying abroad

Well, deadline season has officially arrived! The last couple of weeks have been full of essay fun – I handed in my first assignment of the year at the end of last week, and have spent this week working on the abstract and chapters for my final year dissertation. Term has really started to pick up pace, and it’s more clear to me than ever just how quickly this year is going to go by.

On Wednesday, I was asked to speak at the Humanities’ Study Abroad Information Meeting about my experiences over the past year in both Japan and India. Before the meeting, I decided to sit and collect some of my thoughts as to why I’d decided to study abroad, what I’d done whilst in Japan, and what I thought I’d gained from the experience. It dawned on me that, since returning to the UK, I hadn’t actually had much time for reflection.



The gorgeous autumn leaves on campus – I can’t believe it’s mid-November already!


When I came to Southampton, I had no idea that studying abroad was even a possibility. I’d just returned from travelling, and was, if I’m honest, a little bit depressed about being back in the UK. I can’t remember where I heard about the information meeting I attended, but as soon as the talk began I knew I was going. I didn’t know where, but I just knew I had to go.

At first, I wanted to go to Australia. I’d spent four months there before coming to University, and the thought of being back in the sun was extremely appealing, not to mention the fact that there would be no visa dramas due to the fact that I’m an Aussie passport holder! But my Mum, in all her wisdom, convinced me to go somewhere unusual, somewhere where I wouldn’t normally get the opportunity to go. So I decided – Japan it was.



And with views like this, why wouldn’t you want to go to Japan?


I had never been before, didn’t really know anything about Japan, and certainly couldn’t speak Japanese, but – in terms of lectures at least – that wasn’t a problem. All my classes were taught in English, as is the case in a lot of study abroad exchanges, so not knowing the language is definitely not a reason not to go! In terms of daily life, it was a little more challenging. I’d never lived in a country where English wasn’t the native language before, so at first it was daunting, and even the simplest of tasks became difficult. But my host University, Doshisha, provided a lot of support, sending students from my faculty to meet me at the airport, show me where I was to live, and generally provide assistance in my first few weeks of Japanese life. I was also able to take beginners Japanese classes, to help me get by day to day. By the end of the year, my Japanese had improved a lot and, whilst I can’t claim any level of fluency, my everyday life became a lot more comfortable.



Watching Sumo Wrestling in Tokyo – one of those ‘only in Japan’ moments


There was a great choice of subjects to study – as a joint honours student at Southampton, I don’t often get the chance to take elective modules outside of my subject area, such as a language, for example. At Doshisha, I was able to take whichever class I liked from the English speaking faculties. I took some classes in politics and international relations, but also branched out, studying anthropology, finance and philosophy, as well as Japanese.

I also got the opportunity to travel more than I thought I would, which is always fantastic. The great thing about living in a new city is the chance to explore somewhere new every weekend – it feels like you’re always on holiday! As well as exploring the Kansai region, around Kyoto, I visited Tokyo twice, went up to Sapporo on the North Island of Hokkaido, to Hiroshima, and down to the Southern Islands of Okinawa. I was also lucky enough to go on a weekend trip to Seoul, in South Korea, and visit a friend who was studying abroad in Hong Kong.



Skiing in Japan – something I never thought I’d have the chance to do!


Studying abroad is an unforgettable experience, but also a great opportunity to develop yourself, both personally and professionally. It’s something different to have on your CV – something that, at some point in your university life you will have to consider – and can be a great talking point at interviews, or just in general. It also shows skills such as flexibility, independence, and the ability to operate in a different cultural setting, which many employers really value. So not only are you going to have a fantastic time, you’ll also be able to enrich your studies and boost your career prospects.

I thoroughly enjoyed speaking at the meeting – it was fantastic to see so many students there, all interested in going to study overseas. Students just like me, when I was in first year, who really have no idea what might lie in store for them over the coming few years. I felt like I could have spoken forever about my experience, which is strange, because a year ago I don’t think I would have had the confidence to stand up in front of all of those people. The University has so many fantastic opportunities to go abroad as part of your course – from adding on an extra year, like I did, spending a single semester, or taking part in a summer school, in a range of countries across Europe, Asia and more. Everyone I know who’s done it has had the time of their life – the question really isn’t why would you study abroad, but why wouldn’t you?

Tayler

No comments:

Post a Comment