Friday 28 February 2014

Dominating at the BNU Dance Competition

Since my last post, the University of Southampton’s dance squads competed in the annual Bucks New University dance competition and we completely dominated! Not only did we return to Southampton with a ton of gold trophies to add to our collection, but we also had plenty of amazing memories from the day. Our final and most important competition is the annual Loughborough Dance Competition, which is happening in just over a week! It’s now time to take on any feedback given by the judges from our previous competitions and workout any last minute kinks in the routines. The Loughborough Dance Competition takes place over the course of two days so we’ll be gone for the entire weekend. It was an absolute blast last year, so I’m hoping for another incredible weekend this year. Until then, here are a few photos taken from the BNU dance competition last Saturday.



Happy Southampton dancers with lots of trophies!



This photo was taken during our winning advanced jazz routine! Out of the three squads that I’m in, this has to be my favourite routine to dance, and it was choreographed by a student studying here at Southampton!



Me and the advanced ballet squad girls after the competition.


We are also currently preparing for our annual Pure Dance show, which will take place at the end of March in the Turner Sims, a concert hall situated on campus. This week I’ve had a shot at choreographing the jazz finale section for the show and I’ll be teaching the short routine to the society’s members in our next class. Time really is flying by at lightning speed! Not only is competition season over soon but, after Pure Dance, it won’t be long until it’s time to elect a new Jazz Dance committee and my time as President will come to an end (as I mentioned in my previous post I don’t plan on dancing in my final year).

With so much going on and lots to think about, it’s actually very rewarding being a student blogger. Not only is it fun sharing my university experiences, but in order to do so I also get to reflect over what it is I’ve been doing. When you’re constantly busy this can easily be neglected.

Apart from dance, I’ve also been enjoying the various lectures for the new modules that I’m taking this semester. I’ve recently had a couple of really interesting tutorials which are great opportunities to discuss (in smaller groups), relevant scientific topics, challenges and studies as well as apply some of what we are learning in our lectures. The tutorials are led by PhD students or lecturers who are usually carrying out research relevant to the topics we are discussing in the tutorial, allowing them to share the copious amounts of engaging information they have and often providing a new perspective and better understanding of the subject area.

Furthermore, over the last few weeks I’ve also had a number really interesting (and fun!) practicals for the new modules that I’m taking. These include working with live Madagascar hissing cockroaches for my Evolution module and learning some basic (but essential) microbiological techniques for my Microbiology module.

Lastly I’ve also been making potential plans for the summer break. It might seem like quite a while until then but as I’ve already mentioned, time is just flying by and keeping on top of things and planning ahead is really key!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment