Thursday 10 July 2014

Summer internships

My time as a writer for the Life at Southampton blog is quickly coming to an end – this will be my penultimate post ahead of my graduation next week! My graduate life in London has started to take on more of a routine, as last week I began the first of two internships which I will complete before I head off to Asia in November.

I will be working at a city-based farm two days a week, as their Corporate Social Responsibility intern; a role which I am, so far, thoroughly enjoying. The farm itself is based in London, in sight of landmarks such as the Shard and the Gherkin, yet it feels like a little oasis. It’s a working farm, with sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, geese, donkeys and pigs, and a variety of crops which are used by the cafĂ© to make simple, wholesome meals. There is also a rural arts centre, where visitors can try their hand at crafts such as pottery and woodwork. The farm works with a wide range of people from the local community, from school children to the elderly, as well as providing volunteering opportunities.



The urban farm, where I will be interning from now until November.


The department in which I am currently working organises and runs corporate volunteering days for large companies, which send groups of staff down to the farm for the day to undertake meaningful activities and work on projects which have a positive impact both on the farm and on the local community. My role is quite varied – I assist my colleagues with the organisation and running of the corporate days, as well as working on the promotions and marketing side of things. I have spent the last few days, for instance, updating the Corporate Volunteering page of the website with some new imagery, and will be helping to publicise the days through the social media channels over the coming weeks.



 Some of the projects undertaken by the farm’s corporate volunteers.



The farm itself is largely volunteer run, and I’m working with a fantastic team of people. The environment is so enjoyable that sometimes it doesn’t even feel like work! If I feel as though I’m getting too cooped up in the office, I can take a wander around, get some fresh air and spend some time with the animals, which is really therapeutic. It’s fantastic to be able to gain valuable experience, enhancing my C.V., whilst doing something I love, and something that’s a little different from your standard office-based internship.



There’s nothing quite like spending a sunny day on the farm to lift your spirits!


My second internship, which begins in two weeks’ time, is with an organisation which promotes good food and farming. I will be assisting with their one of their campaigns, again for two days a week, and helping to organise an event which will take place early next year, bringing together all the groups and individuals involved.  I’m extremely excited to start work for what is one of my favourite food-related organisations, and will hopefully be able to tell you a little more about it  in my final post towards the end of the month!

Tayler

No comments:

Post a Comment