Wednesday 30 July 2014

Third year project update and more

I’m starting to feel a lot of excitement for my third year project as the plans for the field work and data collection component are being finalised. I spent the majority of last summer working in one of the clothing stores in West Quay, a large shopping complex in Southampton city centre. I only went home for two weeks, in addition to one week off in Edinburgh, Scotland, travelling with my sister. I found it was really easy to get a summer job in the UK as a student compared to in my city in Sweden which is why I chose to stay in Southampton most of last summer. However, this summer after flying back to Sweden for my sister’s graduation, I’ve had to be a little more flexible and patient while making plans for my third year project. Because of uncertainties of dates for the data collection it has been harder to commit to a summer job this year however on the plus side I’ve been able to spend more time at home in Sweden with my family which has been wonderful too.

Anyway, now that some plans have been finalised I can begin to fill you in on some of the details of my third year project which will be about stomata and stomatal patterning. In August I will be flying to Italy with two other undergraduates as well as PhD students and staff from the University of Southampton to a field site containing 6000 poplar trees. In about three weeks I will be returning back to Southampton which will give me about a week before I will be leaving for Italy to begin data collection. I’m looking forward to this new experience and will keep you updated on the progress. Until I leave I will be preparing by beginning further reading into the area of research. We have also begun completing a risk assessment for the field project which is an important safety measure for field work and a good step for us to become accustomed to, especially if we plan on doing more field work in the future.

Because I have now been in Sweden for longer than initially planned, it’s been a while since I’ve seen any of my uni friends and I’ve been trying to keep up with what everyone has been up to. I won’t go into too much detail but I thought it might be interesting to mention some of the things my friends have been doing over the summer. I’ll only mention what my second year friends are up to seeing as many of my third year friends who just graduated have already started their new jobs and I’d just like to wish them good luck! So some of the interesting things my friends have been up to include internships; one of my friends who is studying chemistry is in the middle of an accounting internship which may be surprising considering it’s a different field from their course. Another friend has recently started a summer job working as a waitress in her home town. One of my housemates, who is studying audiology, is currently on placement while another of my housemates (a geologist) is currently in Bulgaria working on a mapping project. I have another friend who started their summer off volunteering in Greece – many others have been travelling with family and friends.

As I’ve mentioned before it’s really easy to travel around places in Europe from the UK, as well as there also being a lot to see within the UK. Last summer I spent a week in Edinburgh, Scotland with my sister and much like when I travelled to Paris this summer, we travelled there by coach which we found to be the cheapest option. There was a lot to do in Edinburgh and we were lucky enough to go at the same time the Edinburgh Festival Fringe was taking place (even though prior to arriving in Edinburgh we had no idea what the festival was). Pictures are always fun and while I’ve recently been neglecting taking pictures, I thought I’d share a few photos from my trip last year which was also a really budget-friendly trip and I would highly recommend.



In the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh



In Edinburgh castle, down in the prisoners exhibition



View from Carlton Hill


Lastly, we’ve been having very hot weather where I am in Sweden, probably one of the hottest summer’s I can remember since moving to Sweden. Anyway, I hope you all are enjoying yourselves wherever you are and taking care if you’re out in the sun.

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment