Friday 19 December 2014

Home for Christmas

One of the benefits of coming home for Christmas from university is that you effectively get to have two Christmases; one with your home friends and family and the other with your University friends! My University Christmas day was on the last Friday of term, where I first went up to the Winchester market, before returning back to Southampton to go out for a meal with my housemates, which was followed by Secret Santa. 

Earlier in the week I also had my final Artsoc session of the year, which was a festive themed art and crafts session, with plenty of mince pies and wine to enjoy. It was fair to say that not much got done in the session, but I did manage to create a snowman (that ended up looking very sad) out of card and tissue paper. 



My cardboard snowman needed a bit of festive cheer! 


This is the second year in a row that I have gone up to Winchester with my girlfriend to walk around the wooden huts that are adorned into festive decorations and tempting gift ideas. The stalls, which sell an assortment of clothing, food, jewellery, toiletries, paintings and Christmas decorations, wrap around the arresting cathedral with an ice rink at the centre. However, after attending a roller disco last year in the Cube, a multi-purpose space within the Students' Union, we decided it was probably best not to risk going on the ice rink. Neither of us have the greatest skating abilities, or more specifically, the best balance! 

After walking round the market and stopping for some mulled wine, we headed back to Southampton, which takes less than ten minutes on the train. Once home we joined my housemates and made our way down to a cosy gastro-pub on the edge of the Common. Bar one, we are all in our final year of university, so it was nice to celebrate our final Christmas together with a proper three-course Christmas meal. It is sad to think I am beginning to do things for the last time in Southampton; I still can’t quite believe it’s Christmas already! 



Our University Christmas Day, complete with tree!

Now I am back home for the Christmas holiday and I am eagerly awaiting for family to arrive next week in time for Christmas itself. I am looking forward to spending time with my sister, because sadly since graduating from Southampton in the summer, I haven’t seen a lot of her. Whenever I do see her though, she always jokingly complains that hasn’t been featuring in my Life at Southampton posts as much! 

Although I am feeling festive, I do still have a lot of work to be doing. This week I have been spending time writing my progress report for my Master’s project, which is due in the week back after the Christmas holiday. I am finding that as I write my report I am amalgamating all of the work I have done over the last term, which is helping me to understand my project with greater depth. Maybe a career in astronomy isn’t out of the question after all! I am also beginning my revision process and have made myself a little timetable which I will try my hardest to stick to. Hopefully I won’t become too distracted by mince pies! 

Merry Christmas, 

James

No comments:

Post a Comment