Friday 12 December 2014

Russell Group Roadshows and renewable energy

Over the past few weeks Green Action has been busy working on our Fossil Free Campaign and organising events to learn about renewable energy in our local area. At the last talk we organised guest speakers from Hampshire Renewable Energy co-op and West Solent Solar to come and talk to us about the goals of their energy co-ops, the start-up process and their vision for the future. It was interesting to hear about the challenges they faced when starting up and how they were able to overcome these. At our last event for the year, we organised a poster making session for our campaign. It was a fun way to get people more involved and a chance for us to get a little creative. We then used these posters and signs to launch a photo campaign to raise awareness about the fossil fuel industry and its impact on climate change. It’s exciting to see more people getting involved and finding new ways to reach out to more students across campus! 





We had our first joint social with the Oxfam Society, OXSOC, a few weeks back. OXSOC have joined us in the Fossil Free Campaign as they have also been focusing on the global issue of climate change this year. It’s great to have them on board as they are able to bring up issues from a social perspective which adds greater value to the campaign. We’ll be joining the Marine Conservation Society who have also joined the campaign for another joint social. It’s great to be able to get to know people who are passionate about the same things you are and have fun while working towards a meaningful cause! 

This week, I attended the Russell Group Universities Postgraduate Study Roadshow  which came to the University of Southampton this week offering a great opportunity for students to speak with representatives from each of the Russell Group universities. 

The University of Southampton is part of the Russell Group, which is a group of 24 universities all focused on excellent research and education. As I have mentioned before, I am very interested in pursuing Postgraduate study so I found this to be a very useful opportunity. I was able to ask questions about various Postgraduate courses offered and entry requirements. Running that day were a series of talks on why you may want to do a Masters or a PhD and talks on how to secure funding for Postgraduate study. 



The Christmas Market in the city centre of Southampton 


Finally…how can I not mention that fact that Christmas is soon?! My flights home are booked I’m getting really excited to see my family again after four months of not seeing them! Last weekend my house and I had our last 'Come Dine With Me' night of the year after which we started decorating the living room for a house Christmas meal we’re having this weekend. We will of course be doing Secret Santa so I went searching in the city’s shopping centre for a good gift! 

I’ll still be around Southampton for another week after we officially finish term, during which I’ll continue preparing for upcoming exams in January. Since it’s my final year it’s more important than ever that I focus on revising which, I know is always really difficult once I’m home with my family! 

Kristin








No comments:

Post a Comment