Wednesday 21 October 2015

Advice from the Business Fair and the Careers and Employability Festival

Yesterday I had the opportunity to meet some of the country’s Top 100 graduate employers at the University’s Business Fair 2015. The Business Fair is part of the Careers and Employability Festival, which is running on campus until 3rd November and involves career fairs, workshops, talks and presentations. The festival is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Careers fairs in particular are a really good way to meet companies and their student recruitment teams.

You can turn up to the event without booking a place and you’re welcome to spend as much or as little time there as you want. As soon as I walked in it was packed with students eager to chat to prospective employers, and it was clear that the employers and their representatives were just as eager to chat to the students too which was incredibly encouraging.



The PWC stand… proud sponsors of the Business Fair! 


Preparing for the fair…


I got a lot of excellent advice at the ‘Prepare for the Fair’ workshop that the Careers and Employability team ran. What I took away from the workshop boosted my confidence in approaching the exhibitors today: these companies have actively booked to attend the fair – they really do want to see you!

It is acceptable to attend the event not knowing every single detail about the exhibitors. However, since there are 100 stands, having done some research on the companies helped narrow down who I wanted to visit. This meant I had more time to make the most of seeing those I was truly interested in and ask them some pre-prepared questions – questions that the company website can’t answer for me.



Nick and Ali – part of the Careers and Employability Services team who organised the event! 


The University’s Careers and Employability Services team said this year was one of the busiest they’ve had. The service plays a pivotal role by working closely with students, staff and potential employers to enhance student employability skills. If you’re uncertain about your future, these are the guys to chat to!

 

What should you research?

 

I clicked on five or six company websites the night before and checked out their company values. I looked for buzzwords on their recruitment pages to get an insight of what a company is looking for in graduates. I found that ‘technology’, ‘independence’, ‘teamwork’, ‘confidence’ and ‘client-facing’ appear a few times online as well as being mentioned by the recruiters I chatted to yesterday. This was an easy way to find out if the company’s values fit in with yours.

I also considered what it really is that I want to get out of the Fair. For me, it was to see whether or not there were any graduate opportunities for me in the business industry as a Politics student. I have found that, actually, not having a degree with Maths, Science or Management is not a hindrance. A few of the exhibitors I spoke to did History, Psychology, English and Sports Science at university and still landed jobs in companies that are Business focused. Of course, different students have different objectives for attending and it is true that you won’t always get what you want, but this is the opportunity to start that.



The INEOS stand. INEOS is a global producer of petrochemicals and speciality chemicals, and looks for opportunities to make a company achieve further through acquisitions. 


My top 4 general questions were:
  1. I study Politics – will I be able to fit in with you with my background?
  2. Why did you choose to work for this organisation?
  3. What skills do you look for in a graduate applicant?
  4. How can I apply and when are the deadlines?
Some recruiters such as INEOS are especially looking for students with a background in finance and technology. I spoke to Hannah who has been working for INEOS for a number of years now. She had a background in the sciences that aren’t particularly focused on petrochemicals. She was the treasurer of her canoe society back at her university and she mentioned that it may have helped satisfy the mathematical requirements of the job application! When I asked Hannah what the top thing is that they are looking for in a graduate she gave me two answers: someone who is independent and someone who thrives on a challenge.



The Excel Programme stand. 


The Excel Southampton Internship Programme stand caught my eye. Their schemes offer a wide range of paid internships during term time, Easter and summer holidays based both on campus and within a variety of external organisations. It’s fantastic to see the University of Southampton teaming up with local and nationwide businesses.

I also had the pleasure to chat to Natalie and Hayley who were volunteering at the Target Jobs stand. Target Jobs has a large choice of internships, placements and graduate jobs. They also give expert advice on how to get hired. I myself am subscribed to their mailing list and it is incredible how many work experience opportunities are out there for us students.



Natalie and Hayley at the Target Jobs stand. Natalie is a 2nd year Psychology student and Hayley is a 4th year doing History, both study here at the University of Southampton. 


Ultimately, attending the Fair is a two-way process; you need to find an organisation where you can work at your best, so you really need to understand why you might want to work for a company.
What is it about them that attracts you? Is it their values, profit, clientele, or company benefits?

Overall, I think chatting to company team members is going to be helpful in my job applications. It has given me a good indication of what type of people employers are looking for. What’s more, some graduate recruiters did actually attend the event today – who knows, they could be the ones deciding whether or not to hire you! Just remember to check out the application deadlines for internships and graduate jobs. Some close in November which, when you think about it, is incredibly close. Quite frankly, I would not have known about this had I not gone to the Fair, so I’m glad I went.



Hooray for freebies!!


Go ahead and impress employers with your preparation and enthusiasm.

See you at the next Careers Fair!

Rylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment