Monday 26 October 2015

Interviews, press conferences and transferrable skills

All of Rylyn’s talk about the careers fair and employability in general got me thinking about my own future this week, just in time for some rather exciting opportunities to float my way.

Getting wrapped up in the University itself is always a fun and rewarding experience, and my course alone has given me plenty to keep busy with; but every now and then, especially now that I’m hurtling through my final year here, thoughts seem to shift towards what on earth I’m going to do when I leave. I’ll be honest, it’s a scary prospect - anyone who said otherwise would very likely be lying - but this week I came to the conclusion that almost everything I’m doing will have some worth when I’m out in the big wide world, hunting through the job market.

On a more basic level, the social experience of University has certainly had an overwhelming effect on how I engage with other adults in general, and sticking to numerous deadlines - whether they are for assignments, my own projects, or even this here blog - has definitely helped to master those pesky organisation skills.

More obviously though, I’ve been given the opportunity over the past week to embark on a couple of exciting ventures which, in themselves, have proven to be more directly useful in tooling me up for that eventual job hunt.

The first of these opportunities came in off the back of my coverage of this year’s London Film Festival for The Edge - which I talked about in more detail in my last post - wherein I somehow ended up in a room with some of the film industry’s most celebrated figures, to support the release of Universal’s new film Steve Jobs.



A press conference for the new Steve Jobs film proved incredibly star-studded.


Maintaining your cool and suppressing the urge to ‘fanboy’ whilst staring in total awe at Danny Boyle, Kate Winslet, Aaron Sorkin and Michael Fassbender is surprisingly difficult, but somehow I managed it.

It quickly became an exercise in professionalism; if I wanted to really pursue a career chasing film (which I very obviously do) then being casual around some of the industry’s current greats would no doubt be expected.

In fact, after a while it grew a lot easier, as it became clear that these individuals were just people after all, and for all the fame and glamour that surrounds their lives, they are - on the most basic level imaginable - simply just other human beings doing their jobs; following their own careers. Lesson well and truly learned.



Accidentally bumped into the man himself outside afterwards. 
Professionalism was maintained, fear not.


Exciting venture #2 then came just a few short days later in the form of more journalism-based fun, when I was given the chance to chat with even more interesting people currently working in film in a few shorter one-on-one interviews. Whereas it was slightly easier to remain calm here since the “talent” (apparently this is industry speak for ‘person of interest’) were a lot more low-key and everything was done over the phone, such things did present some new challenges.

Chatting to someone you’ve never met before at length one-on-one can be pretty tough, especially when you can’t see their face, so this one became all about communication: being as precise and clear with my questions as possible. Whilst, at the same time, juggling a phone in one hand, a semi-ancient voice recorder in another, and shouting as audibly as possible into both.

Rest assured, things seemed to go relatively smoothly - other than the fact that mere minutes before one was due to take place, the fire alarm in the Student’s Union building went off leading to some mad dashing around. Luckily, Highfield Campus has plenty of quiet spots though and I managed to duck into the University’s Valley Gardens. Despite apparently breeding busy-ness by its very nature, silence is never far away here in Southampton.



The glorious Valley Gardens (photo courtesy of ex-blogger Joanne’s old post - found here)


These experiences definitely gave me a wider insight into what may prove to be my future career, and it was a nice release from the stresses of course reading, ahead of the impending first round of assignments. Maybe job-hunting won’t be so scary after all.

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment