Friday 27 January 2017

Nature in Winter

Hi all! I hope exams have been going well for you and, if you have finished already, congratulations! You're free! It'll be a quick blog post today but I thought I'd share one of my favourite ways to chill during the January exam period with you.

I am a massive fan of wrapping up in a million layers and going out feeling like I'm in a bubble, although at present, I've lost my gloves and haven't found a way to cover my face effectively... maybe I should try an actual bubble.




I really like to go out for walks or take some time out of studying on campus to stroll through Valley Gardens or the Common.

Look out for migratory swans and geese, especially Canadian geese - you can normally see them flying overhead. Moorhens and ducks are common in the ornamental lake, but if you are going to feed them, I've found that they aren't very fond of raisins but really like cat kibble.
Keep an eye out for woodpeckers too, I used to hear one or two when I lived in Glen Eyre in my first year, they were virtually outside my window!


Valley Gardens up at Highfield Campus


You might also like to look out for obvious winter fauna, such as robins and blackbirds; I've got a bird feeder which I like to fill with mealworms for them, just to supplement what food they might be getting over winter.


Southampton Common is a great place to clear your head.


I definitely recommend going out for walks during winter, it has also been proven to help with memories and improve your mood. And who knows, you might snap some pictures that are particularly Instagram-worthy too.

Until next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment