Saturday 21 January 2017

The Countdown to Exams

Hi everyone! 

So the Semester One exams are upon us and we’re all trying to ram into the library and taking longer day naps. It’s the most wonderful time of the year! 

But really, this period in the year is stressful, and I thought I’d share my tips on how I prepare for the run up to my exams.




A week before

  • Create overviews of your module.
    I do this by making mind-maps of subjects from memory, or flowcharts (e.g. for problem solving in my statistics module).

  • Index cards are key at this point.
    I write key words or concepts on index cards and stick them all around my study space, as I find that it goes in almost subconsciously. I never used to believe this before, but I tried it last exam period and it seemed to work!

  • Don’t be scared to look up new things.
    If I find an interesting new article or journal piece, I often find it helps me remember everything in a more coherent and well-rounded way. I’m very good at remembering small, weird facts, and then I find I can remember a whole topic that way.

  • Get together with friends and study.
    You don't have to book a study room in the library for this, you can use your halls flat kitchen, or your student house (provided you won't be distracted by Super Smash Bros), and make it fun! You don’t all have to be sitting in silence with heads in books - one study game I like to play is Definition Hangman: it’s like hangman up to guessing the letters, but instead of guessing the word, you have to explain the definition or case study.


OK, maybe make time for a little bit of Super Smash Bros.


Two days before

  • Don’t lose momentum.
    I don’t like to cram on the last day or make it seem like I’m stressed the day before the exam, so I use this day spent with index cards and mind maps, alternating between the two, making notes from memory, and maybe doing some last minute past papers.

If you've been studying at home - consider changing your environment.

One day before

  • Chill out day.
    I like to use this day to condense everything I know on to one piece of paper, and by this point it could be names for case studies or key terms, so it won't be as hard as you think. This ends up being what I take with me to University on the bus to have outside the exam room, and even though I won't use it for cramming, it gives me peace of mind.

  • Pack your bag.
    You will need everything: calculator, ruler, rubber, pens and pencils - just take everything, even if the lecturer hasn't specifically said you need it. Also, you should take water to sip during the exam, to keep yourself hydrated and help with concentration.

  • Sleep!
    Do try and get to sleep early - don't go to bed at 2am because you spent all day worrying; aim for 10pm and set your alarm so you have ample time before the exam begins, to make time for traffic and hold-ups, etc.

Awesome! You made it to your first exam, congrats! Now, take deep breaths and don't panic. 

You can do this!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment