Thursday 5 December 2013

Reaching the final

At the start of the year I knew I wanted to start playing a new sport. After going round the bunfight during Freshers’ Week, I eventually decided to take up handball. It’s a sport that I’ve always wanted to try and convinced by their ‘sales pitch’, I went along to their taster session.

Handball has quickly become something that I love to play and in all honestly I wish I had taken it up sooner whilst at university. As a complete beginner, I joined the university’s development team, and subsequently have gone along to training every week on a Sunday evening.

After two months of learning the basics, including passing, wing shots, defence and much more, I finally got an opportunity to put together all I had learnt into a proper handball game. On Saturday, Southampton, Solent and Bournemouth Universities collaborated together to organise a handball development team tournament hosted at Bitterne Park School.

After arriving and getting warmed up, the tournament was quickly underway with Solent playing Bournemouth A first. We got off to a great start in our first match, managing to gain a lead against Bournemouth B early on in the game which we sustained until the end to win 9 – 6. Our next game was a daunting prospect; playing against Southampton Solent University who had fielded their best team. Although we were well and truly beaten 4 – 11, we played some great handball and showed some promising signs.



Solent take on Bournemouth B


Our last match was against Bournemouth A. If we won this game we would be guaranteed to make the final, anything less and we would have to hope for the unlikely outcome that Bournemouth B won against Bournemouth A and pray that goal difference went in our favour. This match was by far the most closely contested, with both teams nervously playing out the final few minutes stuck at 6 – 6. Miraculously Bournemouth B managed to beat Bournemouth A, meaning we were through to the final along with the undefeated Solent.

Unfortunately we lost 5 – 9 to Solent in the final, but we showed how much progress we had made by reducing the losing margin, through tightening up our defence and making better use of the ball in our attacks. Overall the tournament was a fantastic experience and really helped to piece together all the skills I have learnt in training drills into real match situations – it just goes to show what you can achieve in just one term!

Over the weekend I also got the chance to see a production of Alana Ayckbourn’s Confusions by the University’s Theatre Group. I have always been impressed with previous shows put on by the society and this one was no different. The acting and directing was done to such a professional standard and it had me actually laughing out loud.

To celebrate the concluding end of the (very busy) winter term, I was invited along to the Humanities and Social Sciences Winter ball. Unfortunately, the Physics ball was on the same night, but seeing as I have been to a Physics ball before, I chose to attempt to mingle with people who don’t find jokes about Heisenberg or Schrödinger funny!



From fancy dress to formal dress


The ball was hosted at Oceana, situated down by the docks, and they put on a great night with a champagne reception, mulled wine and even an opportunity to take a photo with Santa (I’m still dubious to whether he was the real Father Christmas) and receive an early Christmas present: a little bag of pick ‘n’ mix.

Merry Christmas

James

No comments:

Post a Comment