Sunday 1 December 2013

The past and the future

Last Saturday I worked at my first Physics Open Day of the winter term for the University. Although it was not the first Open Day I have done (I worked the summer open days too), it was the first one where I have had to give a tour of Glen Eyre halls.

Going back to Glen Eyre for the first time since I left at the end of first year was a strangely nostalgic experience – especially seeing new students in my old kitchen through the window. Just walking back through the entrance brought back many happy memories of time spent living in the New Terrace complex. Most of all it reminded me of my fresher’s fortnight right at the start of my life away from home.

I personally found halls to be a great experience. In fact I found every aspect – from assignments and lab work to socials and nights out – of my first year to be thoroughly enjoyable. Having such fond memories of my time in halls made telling people about Glen Eyre that much easier.



Meeting our neighbouring flat mates before the Freshers’ Welcome Party in 2011


Of course the question I get asked the most on Open Days is “Why did you choose to study at Southampton?” Having had experience of being asked this question in equal amounts across the summer Open Days, I have had plenty of time to truly think about why I did choose to come to Southampton.

I remember I came to visit the University whilst in sixth form, before I had really even started to properly consider my options. I came in the summer holidays so the University was very quiet and hence I didn’t expect to meet anyone, let alone get the chance to be shown around. However, when I crossed campus to take a look at the Physics building, fully aware that I couldn’t get in, the futility of the situation disappeared.

I was very fortunate in the fact that the Physics admission tutor was there to welcome us in and even gave up over an hour to show me and my family around the department. He took his time to show me the labs and the astronomy domes on the roof, whilst explaining every detail about the course to me – which I try to emulate when working at the Open Days myself.

I guess that was one of the major reasons why I put Southampton as my first choice; the friendliness and willingness to give a personal tour to a prospective student who hadn’t given university choices too much thought before then.

The time between then and now has flown by and it’s crazy to think that I am now approaching the half-way point of third year, so I have begun to turn my thoughts towards the future.

The Physics department and also the Physics Society (cleverly named Physoc) hold many events, talks and seminars that provide ideas and opportunities for your future career. Last Tuesday they held a TeachFirst presentation, made even more appealing with free takeaway pizza. I am currently in two minds about my future career; on one hand I’d like to go into teaching, whilst on the other I’m interested in medical physics, so the presentation was a great chance to really begin to sort out my mind.

TeachFirst are a unique charity that fund your PGCE while you go straight into teaching. You are put in schools where a certain majority of children are disadvantaged because of their background. Did you know that just 16% of children eligible for the free school meals programme make it to university in the UK, whereas 96% of all children from independent schools do?

The aim of the organisation is to provide inspirational teachers and develop leaders through their leadership programme that can help to bridge the gap over this hidden social barrier to further education. Whilst being thrown in at the deep end is a lot harder than doing a PGCE the conventional way, it is certainly more rewarding and if I do opt for a career in teaching, it is definitely the path that I will choose.

The experience lasts two years, with around 50% of teachers staying in the same school afterwards, 10% moving to a new school and the final 40% going into other areas. The scheme also offers a work placement in the summer as well as the chance to gain a subsidised master’s degree in education.

Overall it’s a fantastic opportunity and one I will definitely consider for the future.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment