Thursday 22 May 2014

One more push

The sun is shining, the melodies of the ice-cream vans ring out around the roads of Highfield, petting zoos are once again to be found outside the Students’ Union building, and suddenly the most menial of tasks seem to take the utmost importance (never underestimate the entertaining nature of washing up) – it can only be summer exam season!

And while things with the dissertation are now all wrapped up (the Viva I wrote about last time seemed to go okay, touch wood!), it’s now time to get down to the business of exams, with one more push to go until the complete and utter freedom of the summer holidays. It’s a chance to relax, gather thoughts, do some planning for the year ahead, and chill out with friends – in my case, at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe for a second year in a row!

When auditions came around earlier in the year, after the incredible experiences of last time round, I simply couldn’t resist giving the Fringe another shot. With a taste of it under my belt I think I know more how to go about things (whereas when I got there last time, the amount of performances and events was a bit overwhelming!), including making the most of it from a potential career development perspective (just to keep that option open!) by attending workshops and networking a little more tactically, as well as how to identify and see the best theatre up there, and once again I’m hugely excited by the prospect of the show we’re taking up – we’re hoping it’ll be a massive hit!

This production is a well-know farcical classic, an abridged version of Oscar Wilde’s comedy The Importance of Being Earnest – but with a pretty unique twist: it’s been cast cross-gendered! Although I can’t say too much about it at the moment (we’re having a big ‘reveal’ on social media in the next couple of weeks as we kick-start a couple of fundraising campaigns – keep an eye out!), the show itself is looking hilarious, and it’s certainly been a challenge so far learning to play the part of Gwendolen, lead female – in all forms! It’s something different, something experimental and something hopefully with the potential to lift the spirits of audiences across the Fringe, so there’s a lot to look forward to – although I’m not looking forward to the promise of having my legs waxed for the part (to raise money for the trip, but still: ouch)!

Along with the dissertation, I’ve also recently experienced a wonderful breakthrough in the progress of a fantastic, long-term Performing Arts project I’m going to be undertaking across the duration of the next year. Although I can’t reveal too much at the moment (all the legal stuff’s still to be finalised), I can say that any fan of musical theatre or indeed any shows at all should keep their eyes peeled soon, as an absolutely huge name is going to be arriving at the Nuffield Theatre in 2015. If you’re around, please come and audition!

Because after a relatively intensive round of planning, writing and presenting, I’m fortunate enough to be co-directing this project alongside a brilliant production team, having won the pitch for the annual Nuffield slot! Fingers crossed it’s going to be incredible, hopefully like nothing we’ve seen before in Southampton (and potentially on a larger scale than ever before!) – I’ve plenty of planning to get done over the course of the summer to say the least (a hint: I might be attempting to source a chandelier!), but it’s very exciting indeed. Watch this space!

But before all of that comes exams, and this time round I face the challenging prospect of three, all worth 100% of their respective modules – so no pressure! With fully-examined modules, the depth of your knowledge is certainly always tested, and preparation does tend to be that bit more intense as a result, but then I’ve also enjoyed having the luxury of extra time this term to spend on my dissertation rather than on meeting assignment deadlines – so swings and roundabouts, really!

I’ve plenty of challenging material to sink my teeth into at this point as a result, and am starting to get slightly on the panicking side as the dates draw nearer, but then I guess it’s natural given the format of exam season. Having gone through it plenty of times before now, I can only hope that this extra pressure inspires me on as it has done in the past – and in the knowledge that freedom in the form of summer holidays is but less than a week away.

Amidst all of this preparation, though, I was lucky enough to take some time out (a technique commonly known at this time of the year as “procrastination”) to head along to the Students’ Union a couple of weeks ago and attend the Excellence in Volunteering Awards, or EVAs. I was humbled to be nominated this year for Commitment to Performing Arts shows, but although I wasn’t short-listed (not a surprise, as I’m about to explain!), I wanted to head along to the live event anyway to check it out and support my friends who were still in with a shot.

And what I enjoyed was a truly inspirational evening. Sometimes when you throw yourself into University life, it can seem like your activities are the most important in the world (particularly during production weeks in theatre!), but what the EVAs reminded me of was the fact that this Union and University produces, in vast swathes of different manifestations, some incredible, large-scale and humbling achievements, personalities and individuals. Be it in fund-raising for charity, voluntary work for the community, collaborating with huge number of parties or fighting for causes they’re particularly passionate about, the nominations and awards which many people received that night were mind-blowing, really pushing the boundaries of what you’d expect students to be able to achieve – and all alongside their respective degree programmes, too.



The setting was fittingly spectacular too!


It was fantastic, and also a celebratory occasion for our table as the Performing Arts Officer, Laura, received well-earned recognition for her efforts in representing so many people and groups with such wisdom, passion and diligence. Congratulations to her!

Plus, it was another opportunity to experience a glitzy and glamorous event following on from the Performing Arts Ball the week before – so yet another chance to suit up, and those can never be turned down!



The Performing Arts Ball was once again a night to remember!


So as I settle back into the slightly horrible but nonetheless necessary rhythm that is exam season, I’m reminded that anything really is possible here at the University of Southampton – and in the case of rounding off my third academic year here, it’s just going to take one more push! Here goes – good luck everybody!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment