Tuesday 1 November 2016

Avid for art? British Art Show 8 at Southampton

Hey readers!

As mentioned before, I am usually swamped in extra-curricular activities, but last week I fancied doing something completely different to my usual routine. The British Art Show 8 immediately came to mind – I had seen posters all over campus promoting the event and kept promising myself that I’d make time to visit.




Background


Before going to the exhibition I thought I would do some background research to find out about the interesting history of the show. The exhibit features the work of 42 artists who have significantly contributed to UK art over the past five years and over half of these artists have created new pieces especially for this big event!

The focus of the art show is the “changing role and status of the object at a time of increasing convergence between the real and virtual”. These topics hugely appeal to me, having studied various theories concerning space - particularly virtual space - and perceptions of space and objects.

My inner geographer was ecstatic to see how the artists have consequently imagined ways to conceptualise materiality and epitomise the digital era.

Exhibit Day!


Last Tuesday I FINALLY got to visit the show! I had a two-hour break between the end of a lecture and intramural netball training and figured that I had to seize the opportunity to go! I decided to visit the John Hansard Gallery exhibit as I was already on Highfield campus. The John Hansard Gallery is one of the many arts venues we have at the University.

I would encourage everyone - student, lecturer, or local - to check it out! The exhibit isn’t particularly large so it can easily be done in a gap between lectures, or at lunch time, with ample time to watch parts of the films showing - but you’d need over an hour to watch every film and take your time in the exhibit.

Oh yeah, and it’s FREE!

Upon walking in I was slightly started to see a wall of faces beside me (as shown below)



“Spirit is a Bone” (2013) Adam Broomberg & Oliver Chanarin


I found it extremely compelling and spent quite a while examining the intricate features of each face. The portraits had been created using sophisticated facial-recognition technology that was developed in Moscow for use at border controls - but without the subjects consent!

I highly enjoyed the short films showing, particularly ‘All That is Solid’ (2015) created by John Akomfrah and Trevor Mathison. It was entirely monochrome and featured incredible footage from past and present. The majority of the scenes were photos of landscapes - rather than humans – but the overall effect was mind-blowing. Some sound effects – such as crying infants - were rather uncomfortable, but this was undoubtedly successful in emotionally connecting with the viewer!



A scene from ‘All That is Solid’


My favourite part of the display, however, had to be Melanie Gilligan’s multi-episode drama named 'The Common Sense: Phase 1', exploring the ways in which new technologies can influence our thoughts and behaviours. The series centres on a piece of technology named ‘the Patch’ which is worn in the upper roof of the mouth and possesses the ability to communicate feelings between individuals. Each episode was remarkably different from the others- but with each episode featuring a darker scenario!

Hopefully this post has persuaded you to experience the exhibit yourself. Lucky for you, it is here until 15th January - so there's plenty of time left to visit!

Aditi

No comments:

Post a Comment