Thursday 3 November 2016

Checking in

In our second throwback post, ex-blogger and Computer Science graduate Robin Johnson shares what he's been up to since leaving Southampton, alongside some friendly advice.

Well… hello again!

Crikey! It’s hard to believe it’s been well over a year since I was bidding farewell to Highfield campus as a permanent home, wearing a pointy hat, collecting a thin paper scroll with which I could prove I’d graduated from the University of Southampton with an MEng in Software Engineering, stuffing four years’ worth of assorted paraphernalia into my parents’ cars (it was a lot!), and then riding off into the glorious sunset - or, more accurately in my case, the Northern drizzle!

Although plenty of time has gone by, memories of the wonderful place are as fresh as ever. It seems like merely weeks since the end of my quite unforgettable life at Southampton, as the time has shot by, having morphed into another incredible year of excitement, adventure, and equally tremendous tales.

Just as my time on the south coast never seemed to stand still, I’ve been lucky enough to land in a graduate life and job which has so far proven just as fast-paced, varied and exciting as the four years of higher education – and it’s similarly making the months just fly by!

Of course, it’s been somewhat impossible to stay away from the place where I learnt so much about the world, and throughout the year, I’ve been back to visit campus on a few occasions – after all, there are too many fantastic folk, and theatrical societies, at the University, not to!

It all still feels warmly like a second home, and although I now feel decidedly “old” when I go back, it’s still coloured with happy memories, friendly faces, and that brilliant communal spirit that makes it such a special place to learn about yourself, your course, and the world around you.

Braced with that infectious enthusiasm at University, which inspired me to try and pursue as many opportunities around my studies as I could (it took getting a First to convince my Mum!), I’ve tried to maintain this approach to life in the ‘real world’ ever since - although it’s ever so slightly more difficult when you pay council tax, have a full-time job, and need a regular sleeping pattern!

Through one way or another, I’m delighted to say I’ve found myself making a living and working in the vibrant setting of the capital city, London, accompanied by many of my friends from my time in Southampton, as well as plenty of brilliant new people. And, in news that will surprise nobody who read my previous articles, my job’s in the theatrical industry!



My ‘new’ home!


Having graduated and then visited the Edinburgh Festival Fringe for a third year in a row – it must be a tradition now! - I took a bit of time out to rest up, and consider my options. With a wide-reaching degree under my belt, which encompassed topics from programming to project management, and design to digital systems and applications, as well as numerous opportunities in media, performance and other creative applications afforded to me by the University and brilliant Students’ Union, my experiences in Southampton gave me plenty to consider moving forwards, as well as loads to try and cram into a two-page C.V.!



Directing in Edinburgh after graduation - there was still time for one more production with the University!


In the end, having spent a bit of time practising these skills in my own time, I decided to try and go for the creative industries which formed such an invaluable part of my University life, an interest which Southampton did so much to cultivate.

In doing so, however, I was acutely aware that the sheer flexibility of the degree I received from the University will allow me to move in other directions if necessary, and will stand me in good stead for future endeavours and adventures - whatever they may be!

One chance meeting at a careers’ fair later, and I’ve found myself working as an intern for a wide-reaching West End theatre organisation which has seen me so far:
  • work at the Olivier Awards at the Royal Opera House and West End Live in Trafalgar Square
  • attend and report from theatre press nights
  • work in editorial, ticketing and marketing
  • meet and interview plenty of household names (including, recently, Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart!)
Needless to say, it’s been a surreal year!



Working on the red carpet at the Olivier Awards was a surreal, but incredibly exciting, experience!


 Reviewing the new Harry Potter play in the West End was another highlight!


I’ve been incredibly fortunate to be a part of such a brilliant organisation for the majority of the year, and I can’t thank them enough for the opportunities they’ve afforded me. With hopefully more fantastic experiences on the horizon, the future is certainly looking bright.

To future Southampton graduates, I’d just urge you, no matter what your aspirations, to absolutely go for it; you’ll find a way. And for those of you lucky enough to still be there: enjoy your time, make the most of it, and say “yes” to as many opportunities as you can; you never know where they might take you, both academically and personally.

Looking back on life at Southampton one year on, it’s strange to think that the journey I embarked on five years ago, as a nervous, shy first-year, has taken me to where I currently am. But I’m proud of the fact that the journey started at the University of Southampton; what a place to be!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment