Friday 4 November 2016

What's up, November?

If there is a competition on how many stupid things you can accomplish in November I think I’m winning it so far. I’ve managed to break my glasses and break my foot the last week, so it’s safe to say I feel quite useless this week!

But then I remember that apart from the peak of deadlines in November – there are so many other things going on in November that it is time to cheer up and look forward to this month:

Guy Fawkes Night


Coming up this weekend! I find the celebration of Guy Fawkes Night interesting, but nevertheless one of my favourite days/nights in England. I love fireworks, so November is already 'my' month and Guy Fawkes is like an extra nice night. There are loads of firework events going on around town, but I think the best one is the one in Mayflower Park.



From my first Guy Fawkes celebration in England


Remembrance Sunday 


This is without a doubt my absolutely favourite Sunday to spend in England. I’ve already purchased my poppy, which I wear with loads of pride although I’m as British as a pizza.

There are various ceremonies going on around town, but the easiest one for students to participate in I would say is the one in Watts Park. I’ve been here two years in a row now and look forward to spending my third year here as well. You Britons really know how to commemorate your military service women and men and given Southampton’s important position in both the World Wars I think it is beautiful to see the veterans coming out for this.

The University also hold a mini-service on campus every year, on the 11th November, for any staff and students who want to pay their respects.



Remembrance Sunday in Watts Park


London trip with the University!


As a part of a module I’m doing this year we are going to London to work in the House of Parliament for a day! In good English slang; I’m buzzing for this. I’m confident this will be a once-in-a-lifetime and very valuable experience. Since we are going on a Friday, my plan is to hopefully stay in London for another day and enjoy the Christmas spirit in the capital.

Christmas Light Switch-on


If you think campus is crowded in the first week of every new semester, you have obviously never been to the Christmas Light Switch-on. Although you move a bit like sardines in a barrel (this is a Norwegian expression for it being very crowded) – it is well worth it. Our beautiful campus is even more beautiful with the Christmas tree and all the Christmas lights being switched on.

Then there are the personal highlights of November… I’m celebrating one year with my boyfriend and two of my best friends are turning 21!




So despite my lousy start to November, I’m sure this will be a lovely month!

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment