Friday 25 November 2016

Organisation 101

Getting organised for semester one exams may seem years in the future.

Some might even have a problem with thinking about the possibility of an assignment next week.

However, I myself am an avid organiser, and in the run up to exam period, and in the midst of assignments, I wanted to share my top tips with you.


1. Break up your tasks into sizeable chunks


Don’t just write ‘study’ on your to-do list. If you made a plan of all your modules and the topics within them, you can then work towards making a study schedule in the lead up to the exam. I like to vary my days and have options of study in case I get stuck or get bored of the current thing I’m studying!

I like to get a year planner where I can write different topics each day (and use colours!) and then I can easily see my plan for the say, so I don’t waste time watching cat videos on YouTube.

2. Get a planner.


One of my favourites is the Palgrave Student Planner, which you can find in John Smiths Bookshop
on Highfield Campus. Alternatively, using iCal on Apple products or Google calendar where you can colour different subjects makes it easy to plan for deadlines and assignments.

I also really like the app ‘ToDoist’ which has a really beautiful interface, the option to add subjects and projects, deadlines and reminders etc., and you get points for completing tasks!

3. Write to-do lists.


I have a big obsession with writing lists; lists for everything from shopping, to assignments to do, for sections of the assignment I’m working on, sections of the sections… My best recommendation is to get a desk planner, or some kind of pad which you can scribble on. That way you can get all of your thoughts out of your head and onto paper.

This helps me to not feel swamped with thoughts, and then I won’t constantly feel like I’ve forgotten something (great success!)

4. Stay motivated and on track with work.


Make your study space work for you. Keep it clean and make sure all the supplies you need are within reach or won’t require much effort to get to.

I like to use Momentum, it's an add-on for Chrome which opens every time you open a new tab. It has a to-do list to remind you what needs doing, tells you the weather if you haven’t been outside in weeks, and also has a daily motivational message!

Remember, take breaks, get lots of sleep, have snacks on your workspace, and drink lots of water. You can do it!

Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment