Tuesday 6 December 2016

I chose #SouthamptonBecause...it gave me an opportunity when nowhere else did

For me, it was a bit of a snap decision to come to the University of Southampton.

I’d received five offers from five good universities around the country to study Liberal Arts, but something was telling me I’d made the wrong decision.

I’d always loved science. I’d constantly be swapping English set-texts for National Geographic and Popular Science books, and all of my Art pieces were inspired by nature in some way.

So when it got to May, a few weeks before the UCAS deadline, I applied to Southampton for the Science Foundation Year.

The admissions tutors were amazing and made me feel so at ease with the idea that I would be coming into a science degree with a humanities background, but I’m so grateful I did it.

That summer, whilst waiting for my results, my family and I decided to take a trip down to the University to see where I’d be for the next four years. I know it seemed silly to not have seen the campus or anything before I applied, but it all happened very quickly, and to be honest I just wanted to study science.



Highfield campus, when we arrived, was amazing. It was so green and it really felt like university. I had been to others to look around, and none of them had the same sense that all the people on campus were there to learn, study, research, and change the world.

I felt completely at home on campus, and from that moment on I was counting down the days until move-in weekend.

Coming to Southampton honestly was the best choice I could have made. I’m now working on two research projects with leading academics in ecology and zoology; I’ve given talks to the public on subjects I’m passionate about, and I helped to found the Southampton University Natural History Society.

I feel so at home whenever I’m on campus; there are always smiling faces in the Building 85 reception and cafe, a lecturer to chat to, and friends to have lunch with.

I feel so valued in my opinions and ideas, and I could not recommend the University more – it really is the best!

Georgia

1 comment:

  1. An inspiring story - I loved my time at Southampton Uni (albeit a few years ago) and would always recommend it as a great choice.

    ReplyDelete