Monday 12 December 2016

Reasons why I chose Southampton

“It’s big enough to be a city, yet small enough to be a community” 

I’ll be honest with you, the University of Southampton was not my first choice.

I remember how crushed I felt having narrowly missed out on my grades and feeling like it was ‘the end of the world’ and that ‘everything was falling apart ‘- but of course, it wasn’t!

In hindsight, coming to Southampton was one of the best decisions I have ever made and my degree  has undoubtedly been the best three years of my life.

Here are my top five reasons I love Southampton and am proud to be here every single day:

1. Reputation


Well, this has to be first, doesn’t it? Who wouldn’t be proud to gain a place in one of the top 15 UK universities and in the top 1% worldwide!?

As a founding member of the Russell Group, it is clear that the University of Southampton is committed to research excellence and high calibre teaching.

I love the flexibility of courses at Southampton. It was one of the very few places that would let me minor in a language and let me take part in the Erasmus exchange programme, despite majoring in a subject outside of Modern Languages. This opportunity has been one of the highlights of my degree and I realise that this was a very unique opportunity that I am extremely grateful to the University for allowing me to have.



Inside Rouen's Grand Cathedral


Even if you want to try a new language, thanks to the Southampton Language Opportunity, you could learn a language completely free of charge outside of your course. Free intensive one-week courses are also run in June if you wanted something to do in Southampton post-exams!

2. Everyone knows everyone!


I never realised the Southampton bubble would be so small… and I love it.

Everyone seems to have a connection with everyone– which makes for an excellent social life! I love bumping into friends wherever I am on campus (even at Hartley library)!

Stopping to have a quick chat and occasionally catching up with people I haven’t seen for a while really makes my day and makes me feel part of a tight- knit student community.

 3. Inclusive societies and roles


There is no denying that certain societies at universities have a reputation for being particularly ‘cliquey’ and require some form of disgusting initiation to gain membership into this élite squad. I heard this especially applied to sports and dance societies where there is a culture that some ‘aren’t good enough’ to join - but at Southampton, there is a real emphasis on inclusivity.

It is even possible to turn up to a society event or ambassador role once- just for a laugh! For example, within my role as a Student Ambassador, I was selected to feature in a Christmas photo shoot!



Kickstarting my modelling career!


4. Ideal location 


As a vibrant coastal city with a renowned port, there are many events to attend that may not be available elsewhere, such as the annual Southampton Boat Show.

Plus you have the beautiful New Forest, Winchester, Bournemouth and Portsmouth nearby!



Petting some donkeys in the New Forest!


5. Nightlife


Last but certainly NOT least- Southampton’s nightlife!

Home of the infamous Jesters (voted the worst nightclub in UK, but a real student favourite!), 50p pints, and brand new bars and restaurants, the city’s social life is brewing.

The cultural scene is also particularly strong here at Southampton with regular live bands playing at Talking Heads, art exhibitions dispersed in numerous galleries around the city, and regular performances at Nuffield Southampton Theatres. We also have the brand new WestQuay Watermark opening as I type, and West-End shows touring at the Mayflower Theatre!

So, if like me you like to pack in as many societies possible into your free time whilst still finding the time to work and secure a top degree, then Southampton is the ideal University for you!

I hope you decide to join us!

Aditi

No comments:

Post a Comment