Monday 5 December 2016

I chose #SouthamptonBecause...

...it was the only university I could see myself attending.

There is a little theme on the blog this December, which involve us bloggers telling the story of why we chose to study at the University of Southampton.

If someone has followed this blog for a long time you might remember that I have talked a bit about this already in my first blog post and in my #LoveSouthampton post last year.

Now I’m dedicating one whole post to explain why I chose Southampton and why it was the best decision I have made.

I’ve never tried to ‘sugar-coat’ why I chose Southampton – it was random and quite unexpected. My mind was set on another university and as the offers came back I also got my offer from Southampton. All my conditional offers expected the same grades, so it wasn’t the conditional offer on UCAS that made me do a 360 spin on my choice.

It was the emails informing me so well about halls, university life and international student services offered at Southampton that made me feel (weirdly enough) at home.

When I first got the email about the brand new halls being built at the time (Mayflower Halls) I could see myself living there in contrast to the other universities, and that is obviously the most important thing.

The strange thing with applying for university is that, in the process, you get so caught up with rankings rather than really looking into what the university has to offer. Universities are so much more than rankings, although I’m not complaining that Southampton consistently ranks as one of the top universities in England, Europe and the world.

It is important to remember that you are not only choosing a university; you are also choosing your new city which you will call home for the next three or four years, and it needs to feel right.

That is not to say that I didn’t doubt myself before I actually accepted my offer. I was terrified of going abroad and moving away from my home, friends and family. Fast forward a little, and I accepted my offer at Southampton and was incredibly lucky to also get my first choice of accommodation; Mayflower Halls.

I still believe this is the best choice I have ever made so far in life and, although I had certain expectations of how it would be, I could not have imagined how incredibly brilliant it turned out. It has exceeded all expectations. I was recently reading an article that one-third of Southampton students stay in Southampton after graduating, and I must say - it doesn’t surprise me at all.

Two years later, and I have:

  • accumulated knowledge and skills which I know will be valuable for the future
  • read hundreds of academic articles and written dozens of essays and coursework
  • been taught (and obviously am still being taught) by great and inspiring lecturers who are experts in their fields
  • seen a whole new part of Southampton and England
  • met friends for life from every corner of the world
  • found a quite alright boyfriend as well!

I could go on forever, but here are some pictures to illustrate why I love Southampton so much. Trust me when I say this; if someone told me to write a 2000-word essay on Southampton and why I love it here it would be the easiest essay I have ever written, and I’m only sorry I couldn’t post my whole camera roll here because I truly have the best memories from the last two years here.





#SouthamptonBecause of the city, sunsets and history; Walking to explore the city with friends, Southampton sunsets and interesting history, cruise ships and all the exciting things they bring with them; like the queen visiting Southampton last year.




 #SouthamptonBecauseof  its closeness to fabulous destinations; London, Bournemouth and Winchester. I wasn’t exactly complaining when one of my modules were invited to a workshop in the cabinet office a couple of weeks ago in London.




 #SouthamptonBecause of all the stuff you can get involved with on and off campus; Guide dogs visiting campus, farmers market every week, surfing taster session in Bournemouth and football matches at St. Marys to mention a few.



 #SouthamptonBecause of its hidden beautiful streets and lush Sunday brunches



 #SouthamptonBecause the boyfriend and his (my adoptive English) family take me out to see cool places like last Sunday at Longleat safari park and lantern festival.


 #SouthamptonBecause of this cat, who I have named Albert and who loves to sleep in the newly refurbished area in Building 58. I think he loves the refurbished area even more than the students!


And if you quickly want to see 10 simple examples; I chose #SouthamptonBecause of…

1. Its great, talented and caring lecturers
2. The beautiful and innovative campuses
3. Our library
4. Research conducted on highly important issues (cancer immunology and Alzheimer’s among others)
5. Research you can be proud of because it has been conducted at your university
6. Halls suited for every type of person
7. Over 250 different societies and clubs to join
8. Unilink buses always getting you to campus from every part of town
9. The Union and everything they organise during the year (anyone else remember the llamas on campus before summer?)
10. Staff who care about you and want you to succeed

It’s safe to say if I could choose again, I would choose Southampton!

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment