Monday 22 October 2012

Home, sweet home?

One of the most exciting prospects of starting University for many Freshers is the idea of living away from home. Your place, your rules; as my Nan likes to call them, your own ‘student digs’. Halls are your first step, with people surrounding you and security available. It’s a neat little transition into independent life.

I spent my first year living in Orion’s Point, before the University had taken over the whole block. I was terrified at the thought of having gotten into what were then not official University Halls, and I know my flatmates were also worried that we would become outcasts, without experiencing the thrill of the ‘true’ halls like Glen Eyre or Monte. At that time we had to pay for our own bus passes, and didn’t have a JCR (Junior Common Room, who organise all your halls' events). However, I still had the time of my life; my room was heavenly, with an ensuite and new furniture; we were close to town, and the people in my block became my nearest and dearest. We never really felt like we missed out. I had the best start to University life that I could have asked for, and I am sure it was mostly down to where I was living and with whom. Today’s Freshers of ‘O.P’ can enjoy their own JCR and a complimentary bus pass – but even without all that we had a whale of a time back in 2009/10.

The thing with Halls is that they lull you into a very comfortable life. Fantastic heating was provided for my flat all year round, with constant hot water and no problems with mould, mildew or insulation. Unfortunately, for returning students mostly, student housing can be far from the idyllic ‘digs’ that we expect or are used to.

In a couple of months, Freshers will begin to think about their next home. Rumours will spread that houses and flats are hard to find, landlords will start advertising, and ‘to let’ signs will sprout from front gardens and pavements throughout Portswood, Swaythling and Highfield. The Great Housing Rush will begin.

Something that every one of my University undergraduate friends will tell you is that the ‘housing rush’ is a lie. There is no rush to get ‘the best housing’ in the opinion of many, and falling for the rumours could leave you out of pocket and stuck with a house that is less than desirable. If you think ‘it’s either this, or being homeless’, of course you’re going to sign the contract. But that’s not the mentality with which you should be going into looking for your first (or second) student house or flat.

My house for second and third year was pretty decent. We had two bathrooms, some good sized bedrooms, a fairly new kitchen and a lovely living room. We were happy – and that’s why we stayed there for two years. But even we felt a little rushed into choosing somewhere. We signed the contract in February, and we even had to run to the estate agents because another group wanted to get the house on the same day.

The house had its faults. Ceiling plaster regularly dropped onto my bed, the garden was a jungle that we had to clean ourselves, and we had the most bizarre sink layout any kitchen has ever had. But, from the stories I’ve heard, most houses will have the odd thing here and there which wouldn’t be there in a standard house to let. Unfortunately, it seems students are expected to live in living spaces that you certainly wouldn’t live in if you were hoping to start a new life with a boyfriend, spouse or a young family. It’s a sad truth. But the faults became endearing, and the house became our home.

Over the next few months, Freshers will be faced the daunting task of house hunting, or maybe just planning said hunt. For those of you with cleaners in your halls, you will no longer have someone to tidy up after you. Heating will cost a lot more than you thought; utilities might not work, and no doubt you’ll be confronted with problems that you never thought you would face.

Now in my fourth year, I am living with just one other friend on my course. I have traded my five bedroom house at the end of Portswood for a cosy two bedroom flat behind the library (so small there is no living room and a very poky bathroom). It’s perfect for what I need this year – a base, if you will – I only need the basics and my room is really nice. But, one month in, and we have already had a number of small problems with lighting fixtures and temperamental boilers.

As a student, you will never live like you do at home until you can afford a better place. Sometimes you have to see the overgrown gardens and bad paint-jobs as just things that add character to your new home. It’s all part of the fun - just make sure it doesn’t endanger your safety and wellbeing.
Now don’t let me put you off. It’s not the nightmare that you might think. There are just a few key things to remember:

1. Be aware that what you see is what you get. If there was ever a time to be a bit picky, it’s now. You don’t want to live somewhere substandard all year, so you need to make the right choice and all agree.
2. Take. Your. Time.
3. Discuss what you’re looking for. We launched into the whole process utterly bewildered, so it pays to talk to your future housemates to see what you expect. 
4. However, don’t expect a palace, or you’ll be looking forever.

My final story is that, when I first moved into my room after having lived at Orion’s Point for a year, I was heartbroken. It wasn’t as new, it wasn’t as immaculate, and it looked depressing. But as soon as I made it my own, added my possessions, and started living in it, it became my home from home. You might have a bit of a wobble, but chances are, you’ll love it. It’s a change all students have to go through.

Student housing has been a problem and a focus for many over time; the Wessex Scene has published a few articles on the topic, including a very popular one more recently (found HERE) and SUSU will be launching a new housing campaign in November – I urge you, if you are a Fresher, to take a note of what you’re told by older students, and to get involved in the housing campaign so that you are aware of what you should be looking for, and what you shouldn’t have to do.

And finally, it’s exciting. Enjoy it – it’s all part of growing up!

Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment