Tuesday 16 October 2012

“When University really begins”

Throughout the course of my Fresher year at Southampton I frequently heard the words “You only need 40%!” from some of the students further into their degree programmes.

This was in reference to the degree classification structure which means, in your first year, you only have to pass your modules to advance to your second; your marks don’t count towards your final result, in other words (although some schools, such as ECS, award scholarships based on them). This allows you a bit of time to properly adapt to a student lifestyle and working system (time which, personally, I'm grateful to have had), an experience which I wrote about in my last blog – but you do always have to bear in mind that you get out what you put in!

Another saying I often encountered was “Second year is when University really begins” - usually quoted by my parents or older students to drive home the point that my results, this year, actually count towards a fifth (as I'm on a four year programme) of the overall classification. Accordingly, at the beginning of the year I set myself the target of getting my head down and tackling the books more often than I achieved last year.

So two weeks into the new University semester, and as I’ve made the transition from first to second year, what’s changed about life in Southampton?

Lectures

Naturally, the most salient difference I’ve noted has been in studying for my course. As I previously mentioned, although it's important to attend as many lectures, tutorials and labs as possible, sometimes the occasional absence is completely unavoidable – Freshers' flu can be horribly potent, and it doesn’t just hit first year students! Nevertheless, I can already see after the first two weeks of the semester that engaging with topics during lecture time will be critical to success this year, particularly as the difficulty of module content seems to have stepped up considerably, with prior knowledge of topics covered last year assumed – hence why it’s a good idea to absorb the concepts at the first time of asking!

A couple of occasions this year already, when pre-reading lecture notes, I've found myself flummoxed by a wall of Greek letters and intimidating formal notations. In spite of fearing the worst – falling behind – before the sessions began, upon attending them I’ve managed to grasp the notes’ meanings and concepts, largely due to the measured and informative explanations my lecturers have delivered. The step-up from first to second year implied that if I hadn’t gone along, I’d have been completely stuck – after all, “the set of all Q states” means more to me than alpha maps Q times Sigma to 2 to the power of Q” and the like!


There’s no substitute for a good old-fashioned plain English explanation from lectures – my notes are littered with them!

On the flip side, I haven’t found concentration too much of an issue so far; with course content as demanding as it is, and multiple coursework assignments lurking around the corner, there’s no time to drift off!

Getting places

A further difference in the second year lifestyle is the change of mode of transport I use. Whereas in Halls of Residence you’re entitled to a free pass for the uni-link bus system, which can whisk you to campus rapidly, location has, in my circumstances at least, dictated that walking would be more economical. Adapting to life in the student house over the past month has seen me learn the quickest routes and according journey times to buildings across campus, usually for use in occasions when I’m late off the mark in the morning – and I’ve had to buy an umbrella!

But although there’s still the occasional grumble whenever I find myself trudging through the rain and see a packed bus of dry people, I guess there’re also a number of advantages to walking everywhere, aside from the obvious health benefits. Not only have I learnt the location of a number of nearby shops and services, I’ve realised just how walkable everything in Southampton really is: everything I could need is within a twenty minute radius at the most.

Furthermore, it’s great to often meet fellow students and friends in the streets encompassing the University. I’ve experienced a great sense of community around the city, and it’s a nice change from perhaps the more enclosed (but wonderfully provident) world of halls.

And as a result of having to be more economical with trips to and from my house, I’ve spent a larger quantity of time on campus, where I’m often seen in the numerous on-site catering facilities and ECS Zepler computer labs – a much less distracting place to get my head in some books!

Practising the domestic arts

Whereas last year I spent a great deal of time getting acclimatised to domestic and financial self-maintenance, the experience of doing so has helped so far this semester in many ways, be it saving on bills or having an idea of where to purchase certain items cheapest.  I now mentally compare the prices of everything when I see them, or I’ll calculate their cost in terms of hours of part-time work!

I hope to write about my shopping and cooking tips in the near future (which should greatly entertain my housemates, if nothing else!), but suffice to say I think I’ve retained most of the skills I picked up over the course of first year...


...oops!

... including the ability to forget about putting food in the oven!

But it's still the same great So’ton

I write this a month to the day after moving back down here, and just as my first year seemed to pass in a blur, I’m absolutely perplexed by the rate at which the previous four weeks have gone by. Despite being another year older (although regularly none the wiser!), and despite the changes between first and second year – greater challenges, greater responsibilities, but also greater opportunities – Southampton is still the playground I’m privileged to reside in.

So to quote another cliché, “time flies when you’re having fun”. It’s no wonder how quickly the spell has gone, as I’ve enjoyed acting rehearsals, course lectures, group socials, SUSUtv meetings, Theatre Group workshops, meeting a plethora of new faces, auditions and, recently, the hilarious workshops of the Comedy Society – hopefully with the end result of attempting a bit of stand-up soon enough! And, hugely excitingly, I’ve been massively fortunate to be cast in Showstoppers’ (the musical theatre society’s) main show, Parade, to be performed in the amazing Nuffield Theatre in March – it’s going to be an experience to cherish!

The year is rich in promise already and, if this is when University “really begins”, I can’t wait to see where it ends up!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment